Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 10:33 PM

What type of freezer do you have?

We have a v large chest freezer that badly needs replacing.

I find it incredibly frustrating to rummage through loads of boxes etc to find what I want. However, I appreciate the amount of frozen food I can keep in it.

I am torn between buying a smaller chest freezer or an upright. I could do with some more space in the utility so the ironing board could be up all the time. But, worried that I'll find it holds very little.

What do you find works for you?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Re: What type of freezer do you have?

We have a freezer the same size as our fridge, it has 3 baskets, which is just right for us....Its a Hotpoint...
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 10:43 PM

We bought a Beko fridge/freezer last year. Its got about the same space in both sections.
The freezer is a little bit smaller than I'd like.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 10:46 PM

We have a Hotpoint Iced Diamond.....it has 4 baskets, a top fast freeze compartment and a bottom pull down compartment. It's ample big enough for us.

My daughter used to have a chest freezer and was always complaining that she could never find what she was looking for in there....... they got rid of it and bought a 6 foot upright one.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Ive a geriatric chest freezer ( a £20 out the paper special) been in 3 locations and only ever lived in a barn or garage that works like a dream but is soley for keeping the birds food in.
For myself ive a pretty little fridge sized freezer with a lift up top which irritates me immensely as it can't go under a counter.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 01:53 AM

All I have is the freezer compartment in the fridge. Works just fine for a single person; surprising how much it can hold.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
All I have is the freezer compartment in the fridge. Works just fine for a single person; surprising how much it can hold.
I cant be trusted with those The last one I had froze up solid and as I knifed the ice out I punctured the gas thing and it was goodnight Vienna for it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 03:13 AM

Eeek, Cassie! Mine is self-defrosting; the one with my old fridge had to be de-iced. I'd fill the ice trays with boiling water and let them sit, periodically refilled, till the ice loosened enough to be pulled off in slabs. What a mess that was! I was actually glad when the old fridge died and I got this one.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 10:01 AM

I've had experience of both and think that unless you want to use a freezer like a commercial unit (ie - keep masses of dog meat or similar) an upright is infinitely prefereable. Leaving aside the fear that I would one day fall in whilst reaching for a packet of something in a far corner, the chest freezer is virtually impossible to organise.
It's amazing how much you can pack into an upright. Mine is as tall as me and holds a huge amount. The shelves/baskets mean you can organise it a bit too, and keep certain categories in certain places.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 12:20 PM

We've got 2, a large upright in the garage and a smaller one below the fridge in the skullery, the upright ones are easier to defrost than chest freezers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top