Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 10:49 AM

Sweet Peas

Yesterday I planted out my Sweet Peas as the roots were far too long for the containers they were in.
I hope we don't get any bad late frosts, but wrapped some lightweight fleece round them incase, just till they get established.
I also put the fleece round them to keep naughty Nellie's snout off them, as she was watching me with her beady eyes all the time.
However, then I remembered she shreds fleece. So next I put some wire in front of the fleece, held up with short lengths of bamboo cane. I went to put some cane toppers on, but also remembers she 'collects' cane toppers as well.
There are remnants of these all over the place, where she has gone round gathering them up.
So now, I have the peas, protected by fleece, which is protected by wire, and Gawd help her if I catch her meddling paws anywhere near!

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Re: Sweet Peas

............and I think I have problems with aphids!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 11:14 AM

At least the aphids only need a quick spray and they're gone Alan.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 11:22 AM

I have had to put my sweet peas on the area called the veg patch this year as I clear the `middle` garden. Next year I should have all the boring stuff out and be able to sit out next to the pond with the scent of sweet peas in the day and night scented stocks in the evening.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-05-2015, 11:25 AM

Sounds just perfect OG.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2015, 07:17 PM

My neighbour's sweet peas are doing well she has them planted in a big pot on the patio in a wigwam formation which makes them easy to cover if there is a frost.

They were magnificent last year, a tall tower of blooms

I don't grow any myself , not enough room but am given the odd bunch in return for garlic and runner beans
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 06:43 PM

I always grow my sweet peas in the veg patch! My flower borders are only ever watered in exceptionally high temperatures but the veggies get dowsed regularly so much better for the s/p's to be with them
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 07:14 PM

Still have my sweet peas in a small pot but almost ready to pot up in their eventual wigwam. They're outside though getting acclimatised - have to say there is a hedgehog poking around them - I have seen the evidence of its visit!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Aah, I love hedgehogs.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My neighbour's sweet peas are doing well she has them planted in a big pot on the patio in a wigwam formation which makes them easy to cover if there is a frost.

They were magnificent last year, a tall tower of blooms

I don't grow any myself , not enough room but am given the odd bunch in return for garlic and runner beans
We too have the sweet peas on the patio, just near the back door, the fragrance is lovely, the more you pick the more they grow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top