Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 08:46 AM

Re: Jacob Rees-Mogg

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
His supporters tend to forget that, when discussing Brexit a couple of years back, he said in the HOC that he was more than happy to have any final proposal for Brexit be put to the electorate for their final approval.

My, how things have changed.
Yes they do change and if you listen to his reasons for not wanting another referendum it makes sense as we are in danger of fracturing our country further if we do, I don't think any of us leave or remain imagined this when we originally voted. If remainers had accepted the original vote we wouldn't be in this mess. I have no confidence they would accept another and if it went the other way I wouldn't now accept it as remainers have led the way I don't think democracy counts anymore.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes they do change and if you listen to his reasons for not wanting another referendum it makes sense as we are in danger of fracturing our country further if we do, I don't think any of us leave or remain imagined this when we originally voted. If remainers had accepted the original vote we wouldn't be in this mess. I have no confidence they would accept another and if it went the other way I wouldn't now accept it as remainers have led the way I don't think democracy counts anymore.
If you are open to change (life IS change, they say), then you are open to another, this time binding, referendum.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
If you are open to change (life IS change, they say), then you are open to another, this time binding, referendum.
Nope because I don't trust anyone suggests the last one wasn't binding. If they won't enact the first why should I believe they will respect another. I'm at this moment so disillusioned with the electoral system I threw away my voting card for coming election. Not interested in the farcical idea we have a vote anymore.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Nope because I don't trust anyone suggests the last one wasn't binding. If they won't enact the first why should I believe they will respect another. I'm at this moment so disillusioned with the electoral system I threw away my voting card for coming election. Not interested in the farcical idea we have a vote anymore.
You're not alone, Julia.

I am fortunate (in a way) to have lived at the time when Britain lost her democracy. Something that no-one could have foreseen after all these centuries.

Unless, of course, our rulers eventually see sense.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I am fortunate (in a way) to have lived at the time when Britain lost her democracy. Something that no-one could have foreseen after all these centuries.
JBR - you have a line in pretentious humbug that takes some beating!

You live in a parliamentary democracy, not a plebiscitary one.

Be proud of it.

Be proud to be British.

(See - I can do humbug too).
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
JBR - you have a line in pretentious humbug that takes some beating!

You live in a parliamentary democracy, not a plebiscitary one.

Be proud of it.

Be proud to be British.

(See - I can do humbug too).
To get the job (or keep the job) MPs have to get a tick in the box.

No Tick, No Job!

They are employed by us!

I hope they remember this whilst shilly shallying.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
To get the job (or keep the job) MPs have to get a tick in the box.

No Tick, No Job!

They are employed by us!

I hope they remember this whilst shilly shallying.
Actually, I hear that May & Compo have an excellent plan in mind for reformation of our voting system.

To save everyone a lot of trouble every few years, the idea is that the Tories and the Loonies have agreed to simply have five years each in turn in government.

No need for all of this tiresome electioneering and having to appeal to voters on the telly and in the media, and it will save a lot of money running general elections.

After all, it seems to work already: Loonies spend all of our money for five years, then the Tories have a five year period of austerity to get the finances back on track, ready for the next five years.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Actually, I hear that May & Compo have an excellent plan in mind for reformation of our voting system.

To save everyone a lot of trouble every few years, the idea is that the Tories and the Loonies have agreed to simply have five years each in turn in government.

No need for all of this tiresome electioneering and having to appeal to voters on the telly and in the media, and it will save a lot of money running general elections.

After all, it seems to work already: Loonies spend all of our money for five years, then the Tories have a five year period of austerity to get the finances back on track, ready for the next five years.

The americans have that system for decades. Works for them, so why not for you?
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Loonies spend all of our money for five years, then the Tories have a five year period of austerity to get the finances back on track, ready for the next five years.
That's a hoary old myth that dies hard!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:53 PM

What happens is the Tories cut back everything to the bone and then labour have to spend a fortune bringing it back to normal services so we have an infrastructure where kids are not going to school hungry and the disabled and sick are not left helpless and abandoned. £4bn wasted on Brexit no deal planning so far.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top