Join for free
Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Re: Local elections 2nd May - What's the plan?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't know who any of ours are! No bumf through the letterbox. When I lived in Mendip we had a magazine type thing with all the candidates and their profiles so we could choose who we thought was best.

Nothing here yet.
Here neither. Like I said, our local Independent councillor is regarded as good for the area in that she 'get's things done.'

When I look around, I see dog's poo, a large crumbling manhole cover in the road that was reported over a year ago, graffitti, potholes, petty crime and damage, speeding idiot drivers, a dying high street, shop fronts in disrepair, broken pavements, two new housing estates but no more doctors or NHS dentists and a hospital which is about to be sold off for development.

I hate to think what it would be like if she wasn't there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They've probably all seen the writing on the wall and have given up!
I hope so. Think of the time and money it would save.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 01:40 PM

They are probably dreading the result, our independent candidate will sail through, a people person who is much respected.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Here neither. Like I said, our local Independent councillor is regarded as good for the area in that she 'get's things done.'

When I look around, I see dog's poo, a large crumbling manhole cover in the road that was reported over a year ago, graffitti, potholes, petty crime and damage, speeding idiot drivers, a dying high street, shop fronts in disrepair, broken pavements, two new housing estates but no more doctors or NHS dentists and a hospital which is about to be sold off for development.

I hate to think what it would be like if she wasn't there.
That sounds like it is round here also Longdogs, they just seem hell bent on building new houses on every available bit of space in the neighbourhood. I suspect they are being paid sweeteners to build more houses. But for whom? There are also massive warehouses being constructed and then put up for sale, so why build them if there were no customers? There are many older business properties abandoned by the previous occupiers that are also up for sale...

It has been suggested that when these properties were first built they were being offered with very attractive business rates, but after a few years those rates were raised to ridiculous amounts and were no longer affordable by the businesses, so the properties were abandoned.

It would appear that local councils take very little notice of what the residents want, and the people have no say whatsoever in what happens in their neighbourhoods. However, any alterations, extensions or new outbuildings have to be rigorously checked and inspected and overcome long delays while navigating through mountains of red tape, before any brick is laid...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That sounds like it is round here also Longdogs, they just seem hell bent on building new houses on every available bit of space in the neighbourhood. I suspect they are being paid sweeteners to build more houses. But for whom? There are also massive warehouses being constructed and then put up for sale, so why build them if there were no customers? There are many older business properties abandoned by the previous occupiers that are also up for sale...
I'll give you three guesses.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:55 AM

I'll give you three guesses.
Now let me see JB.........Would that be from the other side of the English Channel?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Now let me see JB.........Would that be from the other side of the English Channel?
Oh, I hesitate to say in case the 'objectors' on OFF should assail me with criticisms of 'racism'.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-04-2019, 11:45 AM

Oh, I hesitate to say in case the 'objectors' on OFF should assail me with criticisms of 'racism'.
It's a fact.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's a fact.
Yes, but we mustn't mention their colour. It's the law.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Do people who live in big cities really care anything whatsoever about their local councillor? As JBR will usefully point out, I don't even know how to spell the word and I can't even be bothered to google it.

Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top