Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Re: Pond Removal

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I did, when we had fish.

The herons are welcome to the frogs, though.
Have planted some watercress in a floating pot which has spread over about 75% of the surface and protected my fish over the winter months. Will cut back soon (and give some to my friend). Not sure if it's worth using it for salads or to make a soup Might be an idea if you decide to re-stock - am sure it gives the fish something to nibble on over the colder months as well as the usual oxygenator/hiding place benefits

Only cost a quid for the seeds and had spare pond soil to get it going.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Have planted some watercress in a floating pot which has spread over about 75% of the surface and protected my fish over the winter months. Will cut back soon (and give some to my friend). Not sure if it's worth using it for salads or to make a soup Might be an idea if you decide to re-stock - am sure it gives the fish something to nibble on over the colder months as well as the usual oxygenator/hiding place benefits

Only cost a quid for the seeds and had spare pond soil to get it going.
You eat watercress grown in your pond?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:29 AM

Yep. The water's clean, so why not?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:42 AM

I used to grow and eat mint from my last pond. It could be frozen in ice cubes too. The water wasn't absolutely clear but the leaves were outside anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:48 AM

I still struggle with water clarity. I have a pre-filter (home-made) a UV clarifier and a filter which is running constantly but the only time the water has been clear was when I first filled it. The fish are happy though. I bought ten fish two years ago - 3" who are now about 8". They have also had babies who in turn have had babies. I tried counting the other day and I counted at least 30 but I suspect there are a lot more.

I am looking to upgrade my filter and in particular the UV to improve clarity. My UV is only 12watt but the garden gets a lot of sunlight so I'm intending to buy a 55watt one to really zap the algae.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I still struggle with water clarity. I have a pre-filter (home-made) a UV clarifier and a filter which is running constantly but the only time the water has been clear was when I first filled it. The fish are happy though. I bought ten fish two years ago - 3" who are now about 8". They have also had babies who in turn have had babies. I tried counting the other day and I counted at least 30 but I suspect there are a lot more.

I am looking to upgrade my filter and in particular the UV to improve clarity. My UV is only 12watt but the garden gets a lot of sunlight so I'm intending to buy a 55watt one to really zap the algae.
Do you change your UV bulb, regularly, at least once a year..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
That reminds me that it is about time I changed mine.

Thanks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hi Primus
Yes, this latest one is just coming up to a year old but I just don't think it is powerful enough for the amount of light we get.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-04-2019, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Primus
Yes, this latest one is just coming up to a year old but I just don't think it is powerful enough for the amount of light we get.
I believe they only last effectively for about six months.

I suppose their effectiveness might also depend on the flow rate of the water and also whether the pond has any shading.

Talking of which, I had thought about putting up a screen of some sort to reduce the sun's rays, but Marge wouldn't stand for it. (Er, no, I didn't mean I'd ask her to stand there holding it all day.)
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Now have two containers full of tadpoles.

Managed to transfer lots from the first container with the net, then realised it must have been traumatic as a few were getting stuck in the mesh. So I used a large mug in the end and carefully transferred them. They didn't seem to mind that

Surprisingly, there's still more spawn. Hopefully those wrigglies are still sleeping (rather than dead) and waiting to wake up. Wonder if there will be enough room for them.

The day of pond removal drawing near ... come Monday - that's it. I'll miss it, watching the wildlife and the birds having a bath in it - but needs must.

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top