Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Do you mean funny ha ha or funny peculiar Pyxel?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Funny haha!

Although I don't know if you're meaning to be funny!

You make me laugh, anyway!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Funny haha!

Although I don't know if you're meaning to be funny!

You make me laugh, anyway!
Tongue in cheek stuff Pyxell.....

But like Donkeyman I do love the subject.....
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 08:10 PM

A very interesting topic. Two questions I know there is no answer to. 1. Is there an edge to the universe or is it endless? 2. We are led to understand the universe started with a 'Big Bang' What was there before the Big Bang?
Now, how many of you believe we have visitors (UFOs) from inner or outer space? I don,t!!
PS Yes I know what you are saying. If there are no answers to the questions then why ask them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
A very interesting topic. Two questions I know there is no answer to. 1. Is there an edge to the universe or is it endless? 2. We are led to understand the universe started with a 'Big Bang' What was there before the Big Bang?
Now, how many of you believe we have visitors (UFOs) from inner or outer space? I don,t!!
PS Yes I know what you are saying. If there are no answers to the questions then why ask them.
'Before' has no meaning in relation to the Big Bang, time requires mass so time didn't come into existence until the Big Bang had already started. If there is no time then 'before' and 'after' have no meaning.

I don't understand it either.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
'Before' has no meaning in relation to the Big Bang, time requires mass so time didn't come into existence until the Big Bang had already started. If there is no time then 'before' and 'after' have no meaning.

I don't understand it either.
Perhaps the whole thing( corny l know ) is really just
now!
Nothing before nothing after, just NOW! Brucy?

Regards Donkeyman!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Anyway! That's not the first picture of a 'Black Hole'....

Using Foxy's faraway foto machine I managed to take this last year..... The 'Black Hole' is top left, you have to really look for it..... It appears Grey without the filter....

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 12:03 PM

The grey sphere is the hole is it OGF?
Looks to be a very regular shape to me? but when you
thnk about it, l suppose it would be if it was formed by
gravity.
I have a question for you though, l used to look at the
southern hemisphere skies and l observed( by eye and by
binoculars ) patches of sky that were blacker and contained
no stars at all, in an otherwise star studded area of sky!
My question is, what are these barren patches of sky?
My second question is, are they what is called black
Matter?

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 02:49 PM

It's really hard to imagine that time is totally tied up with the existence of space. If there is something out there beyond space, but isn't space, then time goes right along with it. No space? No matter either, as we understand it.

One way to think of the universe is that we are like a raisin in a loaf of bread dough. As it is heated, it expands in all directions around us. We can try to get to the edge to see what is out there because the bread is expanding faster than we can reach it (if it exists).

Ok, so we can't find out what lies beyond the universe, but what about black holes? We won't ever know either, because they won't release the only thing we can currently measure - electromagnetic radiation.

Realist, back to your comment. Everything we see and measure on the electromagnetic spectrum - is an image. Even the images that our brains create are images. That doesn't mean the objects we perceive don't exist. The dresser that I bumped into in the dark was most certainly there, but it looks different during the day, it looks different in an infrared image, and would look altogether different if I took an x-ray image. No matter what, my toe still hurts .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
One way to think of the universe is that we are like a raisin in a loaf of bread dough. As it is heated, it expands in all directions around us. We can try to get to the edge to see what is out there because the bread is expanding faster than we can reach it (if it exists).
This whole "Universe expanding" concept is interesting. If something is expanding then whatever its essence it, must be being stretched and gradually compromised. Such things reach a critical point where something breaks (like a rubber band snapping) or where the structural integrity is strong enough to resist breaking in which case the forces that originally caused the expansion are overcome and the expansion begins to reverse, like a bungee jumping rope.

Either way the future would seem somewhat bleak.

The other option is that the expansion is due to ever increasing amounts of matter. Bread dough initially doubles or trebles in volume because the yeast organisms are replicating at a fast rate and creating more and more ethanol and CO2 as they do so. So it is real volume increase rather than stretching. When the bread is baked it expands due to the heat acting on the CO2 and stretches but only to a point.

So what is actually happening to the universe? Is it's very material stretching due to some ancient cataclysmic force or is it actually growing, expanding as a living organism?

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Realist, back to your comment. Everything we see and measure on the electromagnetic spectrum - is an image. Even the images that our brains create are images. That doesn't mean the objects we perceive don't exist.
Oh there was never the suggestion that black holes don't exist. I was merely highlighting that the depictions that were posted are at the end of the day an artists impression, even if created electronically. Any colours are surely coded by humans.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:15 PM

There's one school of thought that suggests that the universe, while expanding, might be folding back on itself.

In that way, it could keep expanding 'for ever'.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top