Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Corn- On- The- Cob

Please can anyone tell me how to cook fresh corn on the cob. I bought some and it said to wrap it in foil and put it in the oven for 10 minutes, I can't remember what temp. Anyway I did what it said and it came out as hard as a bullet I chucked it away!

Tonight I cooked another one for 45 minutes, wrapped in foil again in the oven and it wasn't too bad hubby said. But I thought they were supposed to be soft and fluffy

Any help or ideas welcomed
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Re: Corn- On- The- Cob

I always cook it in Boiling Water for about 10 Minutes. You can add Salt to the Water if you like....I dont. Then push the Wee Fork Things in each end and Serve, with Butter.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 07:30 PM

I always boil mine for about 15 mins ...... sometimes I then put them in a hot over covered in butter to 'brown' them a bit....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 07:39 PM

I baste them with melted butter and put them on a baking try. I don't cover them and keep turning them.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 08:01 PM

All different methods but I do the same as Roxy. Boil for about 10 mins.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the different methods of cooking it. Next time I will try boiling it and see what that comes out like otherwise I will baste them and put them in the oven like mesco does.

I think this is going to be trial and error to see which way it comes out best.

Thank you for your replies. I'll buy some more tomorrow and try the different methods mentioned. I will report back.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Good luck Alison. I hope you find one method or another suits you.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Thanks for the different methods of cooking it. Next time I will try boiling it and see what that comes out like otherwise I will baste them and put them in the oven like mesco does.

I think this is going to be trial and error to see which way it comes out best.

Thank you for your replies. I'll buy some more tomorrow and try the different methods mentioned. I will report back.
Alison darlin' - there is yet another method - I don't bother with corn on the cob though, I buy packets of frozen corn from Iceland stores, put an appropriate quantity in a small saucepan, add a large knob of butter and heat gently until the butter has melted. Turn off heat, cover with a lid and allow corn to soften in the melted butter for a few minutes.
Alicat
West Berkshire

28-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Alison darlin' - there is yet another method - I don't bother with corn on the cob though, I buy packets of frozen corn from Iceland stores, put an appropriate quantity in a small saucepan, add a large knob of butter and heat gently until the butter has melted. Turn off heat, cover with a lid and allow corn to soften in the melted butter for a few minutes.
Our Iceland store is in another town and not easy to get too the store. See, using butter is going to make it quite fattening isnt it. Sounds nice though Uncle Joe I'll keep it in mind thanks.
Alicat
West Berkshire

28-09-2012, 01:40 PM

I've bought a corn on the cob this morning so I shall cook it for hubby tonight. I will boil it for 15 minutes and see what it comes out like.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top