Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Re: White Bread = Death!

Hi Ted, I don't eat white bread, I either by 50/50 or Brown, I find eating white bread is like chewing gum, you chew and chew and it goes like paste in your mouth, disgusting!! Sue J xx
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Well then Sue, you have been unfortunate with your choice of white loaf. While I much prefer a wholemeal loaf, there are some good white loaves out there. I don't mean the plastic wrapped supermarket variety, but the properly hand made kind. Even our breadmaker (which makes supberb wholemeal loaves), turns out an acceptable white loaf.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods
But the point made during this video is that the glycemic index of modern wholewheat bread is not significantly different from white bread.

It's the spikes in Blood Glucose levels that do the damage and lead to reduced insulin sensitivity and eventually to metabolic syndrome, obesity, diabetes, cancer heart disease and ultimately dementia.

Avoiding or reducing significantly reliance on refined carbohydrates and sugars reduces the chance of inflammation and thus prevents the damage occurring.

It may of course be very different if you were able to get a whole wheat bread made with heritage varieties of wheat, stoneground in the traditional manner and slow fermented or sourdough fermented so more of the sugars were used up before the bread was baked but those are expensive and hard to find.

Part of the problem is the modern varieties of wheat have more inflammatory gluten and less magnesium, added to which the Chorleywood breadmaking process.

Modern wheat is a very different substance compared to the wheat of my childhood.

Modern supermarket bread is very different from the bread that was baked overnight and was fresh every morning.

The fact they can make breads that don't go stale so quickly should tell us that if the bugs won't eat it then it's probably not a suitable food for humans either.

There is a review of the book Wheat Belly here that is worth reading and the blogsite Wheatbellyblog apart from lots of recipes to help you live well without wheat also had lots of responses from people who have read the book and put the ideas into practice.

While I'm sure there are many people who are able to eat wheat without problems for most people giving up wheat for a month or so will enable them to see what a difference it makes to their health and reintroducing wheat will demonstrate the damage that modern wheat is doing to their immune function.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 03:15 PM

It says quick reply so here it is
I eat Hovis Wholemeal Seed Sensation and never eat white bread.
Each to his own.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 03:16 PM

I haven't eaten white bread on a regular basis for years as we usually make our own wholemeal loaves in the breadmaker. I agree with you Sue that wrapped, white sliced is particularly revolting, so if we do buy bread it is either Hovis original wheatgerm or a stonebaked wholemeal cob loaf from the bakery counter.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Well I usually toast my bread and I think white bread is nicer toasted. I buy Kingsmill Toastie loaf. Loads of white bread on the shelves so people are still buying it and surviving. Yet another food scaremongery sort of thing and best ignored.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Makes me wonder how on earth we have all survived to the age we are. I rarely buy white bread except if we are having home made chips. OMG. chips
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Makes me wonder how on earth we have all survived to the age we are. I rarely buy white bread except if we are having home made chips. OMG. chips
My parents ate white bread all their lives and lived to 92 and 96. Its just another food scare thats all.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My parents ate white bread all their lives and lived to 92 and 96. Its just another food scare thats all.
I think you're dead right Val, it's just another stick to beat us with...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top