Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Are you eating your apple the wrong way?

Apparently most of us waste 30% of an apple by leaving the core. What do you think of this article?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 05:32 AM

Re: Are you eating your apple the wrong way?

My brother used to eat all of an apple except the stalk and seeds, I don't know if he still does but when we were teenagers he certainly ate everything and spat out the pips.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 06:08 AM

As a child I ate the lot except for the stalk, it never did me any harm.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 07:06 AM

I have an apple every day and eat everything but the stalk, always have done...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 09:52 AM

I don't like the core and would avoid eating it or at least chewing the pips . I understand the pips contain a tiny amount of cyanide a substance but our bodies can cope with it...
http://chemistry.about.com/od/health...ain-Poison.htm
..even so I prefer not to eat it...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand the pips contain a tiny amount of cyanide a substance but our bodies can cope with it...
I guess I've ingested a bit of cyanide then. As a child I carefully opened the apple seeds and ate the innards. Did the same with peach pits. I liked the bitter taste.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 06:46 PM

They use the whole apple to make cider, the cyanide is why cider drinkers go barmy. Or......maybe it's living in Somerset - land of the swamp people!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
They use the whole apple to make cider, the cyanide is why cider drinkers go barmy. Or......maybe it's living in Somerset - land of the swamp people!
There's an explanation for everything.
Wonder if squirrels and other critters who eat the seeds are affected?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 01:02 PM

I don't eat the core, pips or the stalk nor the plasticky little things that enclose the pips.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't like the core and would avoid eating it or at least chewing the pips . I understand the pips contain a tiny amount of cyanide a substance but our bodies can cope with it...
They certainly do and in days of yore, it was one of the popular methods used for dispatching an unwanted person!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

06-05-2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
They certainly do and in days of yore, it was one of the popular methods used for dispatching an unwanted person!
I almost always ate the inside part of the seeds - apples and peaches. It would certainly have puzzled folks if I'd poisoned myself as a child. Cyanide? A ten-year old?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top