Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Re: Are you eating your apple the wrong way?

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I almost always ate the inside part of the seeds - apples and peaches. It would certainly have puzzled folks if I'd poisoned myself as a child. Cyanide? A ten-year old?
You'd have had to eat a fair amount, Annie, in one go to be affected by it - those cunning people would store them and use them in one fell swoop!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
You'd have had to eat a fair amount, Annie, in one go to be affected by it - those cunning people would store them and use them in one fell swoop!
Good thing. I don't even remember having stomach cramps.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Other mammals have different tolerances to poisons that affect us, they can digest things we can't, such as koalas eating eucalyptus, pandas eating bamboo etc. aspirin is poisonous to cats & paracetamol is to dogs.
Grazing animals are well known to become "drunk" when eating fallen fruit that has fermented.
There is an animal which eats a plant rich in cyanide , a Bamboo Lemur eats 500g cyanide laden bamboo per day, 12 times toxic dose for a primate, no point getting it to check your food then!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 08:15 AM

There is a particular fruit (Merula) which grows wild on the African plains. The wild animals love them, but they have an unfortunate side-effect - they ferment inside the animals stomachs and this makes them drunk!!! - watch!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5E5TjkDvU0
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 09:41 AM

A quick check with Copernic Medical Services.
Apple seeds contain amygdalin, which decomposes into toxic benzaldehyde and prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide.

However, humans are able to detoxify small amounts of these chemicals.

Apples, along with cherries, peaches and almonds, are members of the rose family.

The seeds of apples and these other fruits contain natural chemicals that are toxic to some animals.

Are they poisonous to humans? Here's a look at the toxicity of apple seeds.

Answer: Apple seeds do contain a small amount of cyanide, which is a lethal poison, but you are protected from the toxin by the hard seed coating.

If you eat whole apple seeds, they pass through your digestive system relatively untouched.

If you chew the seeds thoroughly, you will be exposed to the chemicals inside the seeds, but the dose of toxins in an apple is small enough that your body can easily detoxify it.

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.,
Reference: Juniper BE, Mabberley DJ (2006). The Story of the Apple. Timber Press. p. 20. ISBN 0881927848.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Other mammals have different tolerances to poisons that affect us, they can digest things we can't, such as koalas eating eucalyptus, pandas eating bamboo etc. aspirin is poisonous to cats & paracetamol is to dogs.
Grazing animals are well known to become "drunk" when eating fallen fruit that has fermented.
There is an animal which eats a plant rich in cyanide , a Bamboo Lemur eats 500g cyanide laden bamboo per day, 12 times toxic dose for a primate, no point getting it to check your food then!
That's made me think! I've just come in from cutting the grass and was ever so slightly niggled at the amount of dandelions that have sprung up in the garden. Now, my dogs have eaten the heads off my fake rose plant (can't remember what it's called), they eat every head off the freesias and every head off the Pinks and Carnations (grrrr) but they don't touch the dandelions - I wonder why?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
That's made me think! I've just come in from cutting the grass and was ever so slightly niggled at the amount of dandelions that have sprung up in the garden. Now, my dogs have eaten the heads off my fake rose plant (can't remember what it's called), they eat every head off the freesias and every head off the Pinks and Carnations (grrrr) but they don't touch the dandelions - I wonder why?

Karen darlin' - dandelions are a diueretic, besides which the smell from them is somewhat off-putting too - your dogs know this - clever eh???
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 01:31 PM

I had a border collie cross who used to dig up leeks and eat them, she stank!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Karen darlin' - dandelions are a diueretic, besides which the smell from them is somewhat off-putting too - your dogs know this - clever eh???
Very clever it is Uncle Joe! I know my dogs will eat anything perfumed but I love a perfumed garden (I'm creating my own English country garden on the Island) - sadly, it all gets eaten before I can enjoy the aromas. Note to self: work on glaring look that the dogs are given and raise voice a few notches; failing that - squirt em with the hosepipe this year if they even so much as look at my plants!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-05-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I had a border collie cross who used to dig up leeks and eat them, she stank!
Why do we put up with them eh! If I don't keep a sharp eye on mine on the beach, they will run around with dead dogfish in their mouths and the smell in the car off the dogs breath is unbelievably bad. My manner matches that actually until I get out of the car

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top