Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 03:22 PM

Getting Fit and Strong.

This one is for you Mark... you said this in the Bronchitis thread.. AND I would really love too.. in fact it's my fantasy to turn back the clock 20 years or so.. BUT tell me deary.. just how does a 65 year old squishy white dumpling accomplish that? I'm serious.. where does one start? What is step one?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Re: Getting Fit and Strong.

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
This one is for you Mark... you said this in the Bronchitis thread.. AND I would really love too.. in fact it's my fantasy to turn back the clock 20 years or so.. BUT tell me deary.. just how does a 65 year old squishy white dumpling accomplish that? I'm serious.. where does one start? What is step one?
I feel rather sad at your own self description Audrey so I'd say you start at that to begin with!

You are a human being, an amazing, wonderful creation of nature or, if you are so inclined, of God.

Putting on weight and becoming unfit takes time so whatever you do, take your time with whatever regime you decide to impose on yourself but be forceful.

Most nutritionists will readily tell you that generally, we in the West eat far more than we actually need to eat.

I'm not talking in terms of fats, carbohydrates, sugars or salt or anything specific either - it's the total that is too much and that to me is the first step; analyse what you eat, when you eat and how much you eat.

Calorie needs for women over 40 are based on their activity level, and range from 1,600 to 2,200 calories per day and these days it's fairly straightforward to work out how many calories there are in range of foodstuffs but the operative phrase here is Activity Level.

If you are fairly active, your needs will be in the upper level of those two figures so the less active you are, the lower your needs are.

The second thing is to re-educate your stomach!

You brain will respond to hunger pangs by telling you that you need to eat more but it's a fact that your stomach expands to accommodate more food so reductions in your consumption will automatically result in your brain getting "I'm Hungry" messages!

The easiest way to curb that is by drinking water.

This fools the brain as the stomach then feels full so the pangs will diminish and, over time, your stomach will be educated to accept less food.

Exercise can be a minefield Audrey so be very careful about what you decide to do and when.

For goodness sake do NOT go to a gym straight away - you could cause yourself damage. Just increase what exercise you do get a little at a time.

It all sounds easy though doesn't it but it took me about three years to lose a stone but I did it and now I stay the same weight without having to work at it because I'm in control now. stevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 06:11 PM

This is an interesting and thought provoking question and the solution or answer is multi-fold or diverse to say the least. stevmk2 has more or less covered most of it. Lets face it it is different for each person and more so beyond a certain age. For a long term solution it is where you change your lifestyle to one that suits you that incorporates more exercise and less calories - simples.

I don't think doing exercise for the sake of it works very well therefore consider some pastime or hobby that will get your out of the house where exercise is an integral part of the activity. It might not be something exercise specific but could be something like art where you have to walk to certain locations, where your mind is also occupied for long periods and not thinking of the next meal and so on.

I can't see anyone going to the gym or doing press-ups or anything else for long that they dislike or become extremely bored with quickly. With this in mind I think you need to look at your lifestyle and consider what you might like to try with the amount of free time you have at your disposal, that is with regard to exercise. Walking or cycling as opposed to using the car in certain situations helps.

When it comes to food then that can be controlled or altered quite easily really as there are loads of diet regimes you can happily follow, but they all boil down to eating less calories than your body needs if weight loss is your ultimate goal, though following a diet you like that doesn't cause you to get fat is really the answer - not dieting to achieve weight loss. If you are happy with your diet at the moment then try slowly ditching high cal foods and replace them with low calorie alternatives. Not all at once but gradually.

My approach is the same as the above really. I over indulge at Xmas time and so on but not for long. Once Xmas is out of the way I quickly consider my weight and body shape with chocs and so on once again off the menu. I do upper body exercise every other day when back into my running and it is shocking how weak I can get and how quickly too. I don't particularly enjoy the physical workout I do but I know it reaps dividends and it only takes me about 5-10 mins (it greatly decreases the chance of having a bad back and so on).

Part of my lifestyle is exercise and hard exercise at that so I'm not your usual elderly guy. It has taught me though that you do have to have some self discipline in your life else you will go to seed in no time at all. It is definitely harder to lose weight than put it on so keeping at a weight you are happy with at all times is the answer - it is for me anyway.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 06:26 PM

I would start with swimming a gentle all round exercise and you can build your laps up slowely each day
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I would start with swimming a gentle all round exercise and you can build your laps up slowely each day
Swimming is brilliant non-weight bearing exercise especialy for those with joint or mobility problems.

You don't even have to be able to swim to enjoy and benefit from aqua-fit exercises.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 07:07 PM

I do not like water.. Except in a bubble bath. I much prefer walking or hiking.. or dancing... I prefer to walk outside where I can peer into peoples windows and look at landscaping etc... I hate the treadmill. BUT here in Chicago, the ice and snow procludes safe outside walking. As far as diet. I think I eat healthy albeit.. way too much healthy.. so it's portion control I need to learn. Every year.. it's the same thing.. A resolution January 1st.. and cast to the wayside by the 15th.. lol!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 07:16 PM

I do not like water.. Except in a bubble bath. I much prefer walking or hiking.. or dancing... I prefer to walk outside where I can peer into peoples windows and look at landscaping etc... I hate the treadmill. BUT here in Chicago, the ice and snow procludes safe outside walking. As far as diet. I think I eat healthy albeit.. way too much healthy.. so it's portion control I need to learn. Every year.. it's the same thing.. A resolution January 1st.. and cast to the wayside by the 15th.. lol!!
Nice, so I just wasted 20 mins of my time writing some fascinating and sublime diet info eh. Well just consider this bit then ...you do have to have some self discipline in your life .

A news years resolution is too much like Catholicism - too easy to get absolution for past sins .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 09:07 PM

When you feel better and the weather is nicer nothing as nice as a walk everyday, luckily here weather isn't too bad at the moment so I am still getting out and about.

Found starting to walk short distances and slowly building up has made me feel stronger. I would think that would help you too.

Diet is a difficult one and only you can know what you want to do but cutting sugar and carbs has given me masses more energy.

I also have found having someone to do it all with has helped too, at work several of the girls went on diets at same time I did we all weighed same day each week and compared notes. It made me more determined. And I started walking with my niece for company that made me walk further and faster, now I do it alone as she fell by the wayside when the weather got colder LOL but still enjoying it.

One key thing that has been mentioned already is don't put yourself down, you have made it this far in life and are not well so it's normal to feel a bit down but you are an amazing person - never forget that !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 12:10 PM

I've just mentioned in a different thread that I'm going to take up my council's offer of free swimming for the over 60s. I just need to buy a card for £6.90 for the year then I can use all our pools. Was going tomorrow but if weather stays dry I might go to my nearest one today, detouring when I go for a walk. Need to take the money, obviously, and proof of address, so rather than take important documents on my first swim I can get the pass and then take a look around the centre. There are others in the borough.

Now I don't swim, and I am petrified of the water, but I have a long foam noodle to keep me afloat, and try to swim with that. Gives me mobility and confidence. I used to be a gym member and really only used the pool and it was costing me over £42pm. The pool was gorgeous, with a roped off area for poor swimmers. Over time, idiots began using it, like their children and themselves, jumping or falling in, defying strict instructions not to, regardless of who was already using it, ie me who was trying to swim and gain confidence.

I knocked it on the head eventually.

Any of you over 60s, see if your council funds free swimming and make use of it while you can.

Walking is free, and I try to do more of it. It's my intake I need to be stricter on.

Mark, I read all your comments and you give some good points, so not entirely wasted.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Dancing is an excellent all rounder for fitness and health Audrey - you only have to look at a dancer's body to see how toned and fit they are. Join a local dance club and have fun dancing the pounds away

For walking (which is excellent if you have no joint problems) always aim to get a bit breathless and each week, add a bit more to the distance and add a few more uphill climbs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top