Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:24 AM

Safest cookware? (pots/(frying)pans)

I've just learned than many non-stick pans use something called teflon that release chemicals if the temp is too high with not enough oil! (They can give you flu-like symptoms!)

So wondered, what are the best pots/pans/frying pans etc? Are they circulon ones? Like those from Meyer? Or just good old fashioned stainless steel?

What does everyone else use?

Update: See my findings in post 20 on what the safest seems to be: Safest pots/pans: Findings to date
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Re: Safest cookware? (pots/(frying)pans)

I have circulon pans, had them for quite a while..really like them
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:35 AM

If there's nothing on them and the heat is high - do they give of a burning/chemically type smell Moli? I just noticed the tefal ones do and I've gone off using them now
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
If there's nothing on them and the heat is high - do they give of a burning/chemically type smell Moli?
Never noticed a smell Azz.....Had mine for about 5 years now....they are used on a ceramic hob...
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 02:29 AM

The best pots/pans/frying pans are now & forever made out of cast iron. Next best choice is stainless steel. Another good choice when cooking in an oven is röhmer-topf which require no fat added & delivers delicious dishes.
Not sure why anyone who cares about their health wants to use teflon coated pots & pans, although I admit they are easier to clean..
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 02:36 AM

Would never ever have non stick bakeware in the house. It gives of toxic fumes which can kill the birds fast. I use Le Creuset.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

19-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Thanks guys!

Never even heard of Roemertopf before Anna they look great tho! And I hear those Le Creusets are great too Cassie.

Gosh this cooking lark is more expensive than I thought
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 05:52 AM

Buy cheap buy twice Azz! My pots had their silver jubilee this year! I'd love a set in one of the gorgeous newer colours mine are orange but I can't seem to kill these!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 02:06 PM

As with most things in life Azz, you get what you pay for.
Get the best you can afford but steer away from 'Celebrity endorsed' stuff, which just costs more for no reason.
I'm pleased with my Meyer stuff. If you're careless and let things burn, at least you can give them a good clean.
And a cast iron skillet/frypan is great.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 02:53 PM

All my pans are stainless steel......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top