Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Re: Safest cookware? (pots/(frying)pans)

I have a cast iron pan with a none stick coating made by SKK.
It was expensive but I use it a lot and it was worth every penny...
....like these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_7fdnzyovca_b

they are very heavy and conduct the heat beautifully. The secret is to heat the pan slowly before you add anything

(They are the pan of first choice for Delia Smith and were recommended in the Which guide , I have had my current one for about 6 years)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanks again all

Meg - is SKK some kind of chemical treatment? Is it like teflon or is it 'safe'?

I really want to steer clear of anything like that after the smells that tefal fryer gave off - put me off for life
Pidge
New Member!
Oxfordshire
Pidge is female 

19-12-2009, 09:54 PM

I've never heard of this before! Now I'm scared.

I've just treated myself to a new pan set - http://www.marksandspencer.com/Marks...Brand=core&rh= - absolutely superb and one of the best matching Woks I have ever used. No idea what they're coated with but they don't smell at all when hot.

Given the choice though I would choose Le Crueset everytime *sigh* maybe one day I will be able to afford the set ;o)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 10:03 PM

EEK... I'd steer well clear of aluminium pots too - aluminium has been linked to alzheimer's!
Pidge
New Member!
Oxfordshire
Pidge is female 

19-12-2009, 10:10 PM

http://www.alzscot.org/pages/info/aluminium.htm

Point 3. ;o)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

19-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Personally, I'd rather not take the risk. Wish I'd known about this teflon coating before now too. Oh well guess we live and learn

I will be hunting for a cast-iron frying pan in the boxing day sales and then look into some of the other pans too, maybe online.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks again all

Meg - is SKK some kind of chemical treatment? Is it like teflon or is it 'safe'?

I really want to steer clear of anything like that after the smells that tefal fryer gave off - put me off for life
Azz SKK is the make, they are made in Germany and Switzerland. Some are cast iron others are heavy gauge aluminium coated in titanium so you won't get Alzheimer's .

Hand-cast to give rapid and even heat distribution and greater energy efficiency, the SKK range continues to surpass all expectations. Individually crafted in Germany, these premium quality pans successfully combine foolproof non-stick properties with strength and durability, making them the best in the world. SKK key benefits include:
• Non-stick surface, with ceramic diamond structure base, can be used for quick frying or slow cooking
• Superb non-stick qualities for low fat, healthy cooking and ease of cleaning
• Extremely scratch resistant and hard wearing, can withstand use from steel utensils
• Hand-cast, heavy gauge aluminium for energy-efficient cooking
• Warp and crack-free thermocore base, suitable for gas, electric, solid plate and ceramic hob cookers (excluding induction)
http://www.just-cooking.co.uk/acatal...ying_Pans.html

I only have the large sauté pan, can't afford the rest and it would be unnecessary to have these pans for saucepans . My saucepans are copper bottomed stainless steel which I have had for 40 years

Other similar good makes are Swiss Diamond and Berndes again Swiss or German, they are even more expensive than SKK though .

If I am going to buy any expensive item I always join the Consumer Association 'Which' first and read all the reviews. It is usually free for the first month
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-12-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pidge ->
Given the choice though I would choose Le Crueset everytime *sigh* maybe one day I will be able to afford the set ;o)
Pidge I had some Le Crueset and didn't like them at all. I had the large frying pan which stuck and was not to be compared with my SKK pan and the casserole which didn't cook as well as my old earthenware ones.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-12-2009, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Azz SKK is the make, they are made in Germany and Switzerland. Some are cast iron others are heavy gauge aluminium coated in titanium so you won't get Alzheimer's

Other similar good makes are Swiss Diamond and Berndes again Swiss or German, they are even more expensive than SKK though .
Duh - sorry Mini I had read your post wrong, and thought you meant that was the coating

Btw, just read that Swiss Diamon use PFOA in their pans and this is not good. (Neither is PTFE which is used in teflon coatings)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-12-2009, 04:38 AM

So far the safest seem to be:

Cast Iron Non-coated but 'seasoned' by yourself. Cast iron coated (with usually a wax) are fine too but you need to scour that off and season yourself as described above. Click the link to see how to season: How to season cast iron pans/skillets

Stainless steel - but these are not non-stick (so for frying you have to cook with more oil, and any non-stick variants will use some kind of coating, so beware of those). However, the upside is they don't have any chemical coatings. Go for the copper based ones if you can afford them.

Hope that helps someone else! Looks like I will be buying some cast iron and stainless steel pans soon

Just a note to say that:

GreenPans, may be a contender for those who don't want iron-cast but do want non-stick. But they are aluminum. Unlike teflon coated pans, they don't use PTFE or PFOA in their coating, but use Thermolon instead (which is a non-stick mineral based on sol-gel technology... and doesn't release any toxic fumes at high temps - so can be used for browning). However, I wouldn't trust an anodized aluminum product anyway - because of the fears of aluminum/Alzheimers, plus it's still a chemical coating which I'd personally want to steer clear off.

Gastroflux, may be another contender for those not wanting iron-cast but something non-stick. They say they are "Certified by the Danish Institute of Technology as free from ANY emissions from PFOS, APFO and PFOA chemicals as found in most other non-stick cookware" and their non-stick surface is made out of Biotan, with bio-minerals: "Now with the addition of natures own repellent BIOTAN® surface protection the pan is now totally non-absorbent to foods, tastes, odours and even oils". However, despite their claims of using 'natural' bio-minerals in their coating - it's still a chemical coating and personally I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Conclusion

So for me personally, I'd steer clear of chemically coated pans, and get an iron-cast skillet, stainless steel pans with copper bases and a stainless steel frying pan for when you want to fry tomatoes (as you shouldn't really fry tomatoes in iron-cast pans). Iron-cast and enameled casserole dishes seem fine too.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top