Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Re: What Sort Of Meals Did Your Mum Concoct

My mother was not a great cook, you could tell what day of the week it was by your dinner, veggies were boiled to death. however she used to make lovely broth, and puddings. Apple pie, Spotted dick Treacle sponge and she could bake well, Bacon and Egg pie, Scones Blackberry tart.

As it was just after the war, the ingredients for cooking were still limited, and by the health police standards would be considered pure evil by todays standards, how come so many of us thrived to reach our present age ?
Clementy
London, UK
Clementy is female 

05-09-2014, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Nom;528207]My mother was not a great cook, you could tell what day of the week it was by your dinner, veggies were boiled to death. however she used to make lovely broth, and puddings. Apple pie, Spotted dick Treacle sponge and she could bake well, Bacon and Egg pie, Scones Blackberry tart.

Did your egg and bacon pie have eggs cracked straight into the pie base so each slice would have a piece of cooked egg yolk? That was a real treat.

I do remember the cabbage cooked to death, sometimes with added bicarb.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 10:06 AM

I don't remember my mother but my stepmother who joined us when I was 8 was a terrible cook and seemed to put everything in a pressure cooker so it all tased the same.

By the time I was 9 my sister aged12 and myself did much of the cooking.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 10:27 AM

During the week, after dinner, my mum would have bought Paris Buns for afters. I hated them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Clementy;528263]
Originally Posted by Nom ->
My mother was not a great cook, you could tell what day of the week it was by your dinner, veggies were boiled to death. however she used to make lovely broth, and puddings. Apple pie, Spotted dick Treacle sponge and she could bake well, Bacon and Egg pie, Scones Blackberry tart.

Did your egg and bacon pie have eggs cracked straight into the pie base so each slice would have a piece of cooked egg yolk? That was a real treat.

I do remember the cabbage cooked to death, sometimes with added bicarb.

Yes the eggs were added just so, never heard about the bicarb with cabbage though i feel a google moment coming on
Clementy
London, UK
Clementy is female 

05-09-2014, 10:40 AM

And I thought my mum invented that type of egg and bacon pie, ha ha.

I think it was the cabbage she put the bicarb in, perhaps greens? I'm sure that was quite common then.

I've not heard of Paris Buns, we used to have some with icing and a cherry on top, don't recall the name.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Clementy ->
And I thought my mum invented that type of egg and bacon pie, ha ha.

I think it was the cabbage she put the bicarb in, perhaps greens? I'm sure that was quite common then.

I've not heard of Paris Buns, we used to have some with icing and a cherry on top, don't recall the name.
Clementy I think many people did, it was supposed to make greens tender but along with the overcooking removed the flavour and vitamin C
Clementy
London, UK
Clementy is female 

05-09-2014, 10:56 AM

I think the bicarb also kept the greens green? I suppose all the goodness was retained in the water.
I don't know if she used that for the gravy. ah gravy - making a cold water paste with Bisto powder, adding warm liquid slowly and stirring to avoid lumps then finishing off with an Oxo Cube. Much quicker these days with the granules and no lumps.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Clementy ->
I think the bicarb also kept the greens green? I suppose all the goodness was retained in the water.
I don't know if she used that for the gravy. ah gravy - making a cold water paste with Bisto powder, adding warm liquid slowly and stirring to avoid lumps then finishing off with an Oxo Cube. Much quicker these days with the granules and no lumps.
.. yes that too I think because they were boiled for so long by many
Clementy
London, UK
Clementy is female 

05-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Can I confess that I like my cabbage soft and mushy, (no bicarb) old habits die hard. I eat plenty of other veg to compensate.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top