Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Re: More people should get a dog

I read an article the other day that around 7 out of 10 dogs don't get taken for a walk at all. Sadly, I'm not surprised at this statistic !!
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Meg, you are right the allegiance to a dog and to walk it as early as you can is also right. I know as we get older in the winter months find it harder, but when we love our furry friends then we owe it to them to walk them as soon as I is light!
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:22 PM

Diamond Lady, I hope to God in Heaven that you are so wrong, I believe most people In the Uk love their dogs enough to walk them regularly!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:35 PM

sadly that's not the case, I personally know quite a few who never take their dogs out, some treat them like babies and don't believe they need to go out for a walk but would rather sit beside them and watch tv, others should never have dogs because they don't take care of them and their needs,makes my blood boil!
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Diamond Lady, I hope to God in Heaven that you are so wrong, I believe most people In the Uk love their dogs enough to walk them regularly!
I wish it was wrong Moyra. I've been involved in rescue dogs for many years and it's a myth that we are a nation of animal lovers. We only have to see the thousands abandoned each. Makes me very sad.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:45 PM

It's not just the exercise that does you good when you walk a dog, it's the companionship and the friendships you build with other dog owners, conversations with non dog owners who would probably pass you by if they didn't find your dog irresistible!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 10:58 PM

Before judging everyone some dogs do not do well being walked personally I have had one rescue who was allergic to grass and it was only by increasing his steroids that he could go out at all and the steroids decreased his life length dramatically, another was agoraphobic and just refused to go out at all.

Most of my dogs have been happy walking and have been great to own and obviously not everyone has had dogs like the two I mentioned but find out first why a dog isn't walked before assuming it's neglect.

Elsie is just back out now after a month of no walks she was in season and we could only keep her safe from males by keeping her in. Another reason some dogs may be unwalked at times.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Diamond Lady ->
I wish it was wrong Moyra. I've been involved in rescue dogs for many years and it's a myth that we are a nation of animal lovers. We only have to see the thousands abandoned each. Makes me very sad.
I remember my time in the homeless unit when the junkie upstairs used to just let his dog out into the back garden. Never thought to take it for a walk. Never thought to pick up after it either. A lovely big dog. Apparently he's sold it on. Hopefully to a much better owner. Some folk don't deserve to have dogs.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire

16-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Before judging everyone some dogs do not do well being walked personally I have had one rescue who was allergic to grass and it was only by increasing his steroids that he could go out at all and the steroids decreased his life length dramatically, another was agoraphobic and just refused to go out at all.

Most of my dogs have been happy walking and have been great to own and obviously not everyone has had dogs like the two I mentioned but find out first why a dog isn't walked before assuming it's neglect.

Elsie is just back out now after a month of no walks she was in season and we could only keep her safe from males by keeping her in. Another reason some dogs may be unwalked at times.
We're talking about the obviously neglected ones Julie, not the ones who can't go out for whatever reason.

Unfortunately my Collie/whippet can be quite reactive particularly with small white dogs and Jack Russells, so we don't get to chat with anyone much on our walks.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Julie, I don't judge everyone, I speak from personal experience, an old lady who I used to visit wanted a lap dog that she could cuddle and kiss, feed it on human food only so the poor little Jack Russell piled on the pounds until she could hardly walk. I tried to tell her to feed her dog food but she wouldn't, poor thing never went out but was imprisoned 24/7 all because the woman was selfish of her own needs and not the dog's.

Another case in point, a guy had his dogs tied up outside almost all the time, he wouldn't feed them regularly, it was heartbreaking, they would scratch their paws until they bled trying to get attention.
When it was brought to my mum's attention she reported him and the RSPCA came and took the dogs away, there are many similar cases and some even worse that I couldn't describe

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top