Join for free
Page 12 of 190 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Entry:-050315
With an Icey cold wind snapping at my legs I set off for my usual five mile: Thursday Edition.
I was keen to warm up, so at a swift pace I made short work of the street and Railway Bridge [that's my hill work done for the day] and dodged two cars and a bus while crossing over to attack the field. It was while running through the wood that I noticed the ground was dry and firm, perfect for running.
I joined the road at the roundabout; not so much traffic when I get out early, and realised that I was still feeling strong and bouncing along. When I asked for more speed, my legs responded, and I got my first incling that this was going to be no ordinary run. At three miles I made the compulsory telephone call, and after tucking my mobile away in my pocket and struggling to replace my gloves, the pace quickened. Like the woods, the lane was dry and firm underfoot, and after avoiding an over excited hound I was back on my street and stopping the watch. I came to a halt on the drive, and with my heart beating in my ears, and fighting for breath, I glanced at the time.....48:43...
2011 and pre-heart attack was the last time I came even close to that time...Awesome! Let Thursday Begin....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 08:21 PM

The thing that struck me reading your last post Robert was that having a heart attack has not put you off running. Very positive. It would've left some people terrified, I'm sure!

Once, after walking from Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran, I stupidly didn't stretch my legs beforehand and ended up with awful shin splint during the night, which lasted for a couple of weeks. It was my first ever trip away on my own and long walk on my own and I just plodded on with the pain. Have you ever suffered from that? Or are you very careful about warming up muscles beforehand? I'm probably asking a stupid question because I'm sure you are well used to warming up before a run!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Myra, I think that having a Heart Attack is much like any other illness, given time, and a careful buildup, there is no reason why you can't regain your fitness at some level. The doctor who was treating me agreed, and said that in most cases it's the best way forward. Over the 38 years that I've been a runner, my body has adapted to it's environment, and provided I don't give it any surprises, is quite happy to cope with a sensible level of exercise.
Which brings me to your second point; It may surprise you to learn that I have never 'warmed up' before a run. My passion has always been long distance running, which requires a gentle pace from the start, no explosive bursts of energy as with sprinting. So easing into the pace at the start is more than a suitable warm up.
And finally; Most injuries occur in the early days of running and walking, like shin splints; asking the body to do something it has not prepared for. As I've said elsewhere, give your body time to adjust, and it will take things in it's stride...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 09:28 AM

Thanks Robert . You are definitely an inspiration to keep fit. You haven't let your heart attack put you off. Other people might start cosseting themselves. Hope you have a great weekend
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 09:50 AM

After a heart attack, the NHS send you for exercise and it appears a gruelling regime so maybe choosing to run and enjoy it is better than a half hour or so in a therapy class when you come out feeling half dead. I don't have personal experience of this but my partner felt he was on the point of collapse after his therapy sessions.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks for that Freshfields, yes, it was the same here, I was visited by the cardiac nurse who was quite happy to let me carry on with my running and walking, otherwise I would have to attend therapy sessions.

In my early days of running I used to subscribe to a magazine called 'Runners World' and there are a couple of articles I have never forgot: The first one refers to an American Cardiologist who started up a running club called 'The Sickest Running Club In The World' the only qualification required to join was to have had a Heart Attack. He trained his patients up to eventually run a marathon, and said that he got better recovery results from the runners than he did with those leading a more sedentary life style post Heart Attack.

The second story concerns a New York father and husband who had been told that he had serious Heart problems and not long to live, and he must quit his physical job in the construction industry. Having a wife and children to support he realised he could no longer afford the rent of their New York apartment. So he devised a plan to ensure the future of his family. He took out life insurance, and because it would not pay out for suicide, went out that evening in Central Park and ran as fast as he could, for as long as he could, hoping the inevitable would happen. At the end of his first run his heart was beating in his ears and he could not breath; but he did not die..... He continued doing this and found that after a while he was able to run further and faster, and he recovered faster. He did not quit his job, but he got to enjoy running so much that at the time the article was written, he had successfully completed several marathons in very fast times. Furthermore, upon returning for medical assessments, it was found that his heart had returned to normal and was given the all clear......

It's stories like these [fictitious or not, and some can be proven] that has driven me to continue the life that I love, I myself could be the author of a similar such story......

It also has been mentioned to me by several Cardiologists and Cardiac Nurses that; To continue with exercise following a Heart Attack stimulates the Heart into providing new routes for the delivery of blood to the Heart Muscles. It will even grow a network of fine arteries in an attempt to restore blood flow to the affected area.....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

06-03-2015, 11:26 AM

Robert I'm the first person to admit I need to pay more attention to the health of my heart. At one point I was swimming before work each morning. That has gone by the by. I fully intend to start it again soon. Running must really make you fit, so I applaude you. I'd end up in resus
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 12:49 PM

My daughter is asthmatic and she found that with constant exercise, it improved her breathing. She went to aerobics classes on top of cycling and walking. She's not a runner but they do a lot of walking.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-03-2015, 01:58 PM

Entry:-080315
My arms swung clumsily at my side, legs had a mind of their own, and my pace was laboured and erratic, not at all like the honed running machine of recent runs. I had just set off on my nine and a half mile Sunday escape to the country, but style and pace had deserted me; I struggled through the village and out on to the quiet country road, feeling more comfortable I began to disengage my mind and get down to business. Clouds filled most of the sky and the sun had risen and taken shelter behind them, a breeze gently pushed me along, it felt like a mild spring morning. I slipped through the gate and padded on the soft grass of the canal bank, the water, slightly rippled, lapped the sides and only distant birdsong broke the silence. I reached the little row of houses at the end of the canal bank section and as I passed, I noticed green buds appearing on the South facing Hawthorn hedges; not such a bad run after all.
I shuffled through the gate and on to the road, over a river bridge and once again the road stretched away into the distance and the wild countryside. My attention was drawn to the discarded items adorning the verges and dykes, I noticed pots, with bulbous peaty clumps spilling out, the plant had been severed close to the surface; I had come across these before scattered around the countryside, I believe they are marijuana plants, having had their leaves harvested and now of no further use. It is a sad fact that in these peaceful little villages there is a criminal presence waiting to make a fast buck out of someone else’s misery.
I’m on the same road that, as a schoolboy, I was made to run the cross country: I say ‘made’ because I hated it, being the smallest in my class it was a struggle to keep up, and I would inevitably finish last. So to escape the torture, my Mum would write me notes to be excused due to some fictitious life threatening ailment. Looking back though; nobody taught me to run properly, by adopting a pace that would see me to the end. If only my old PE teacher could see me now, I’d like to think he would be proud. I reach the point where the Cross Country course turns off the road and joins the riverbank, snaking it’s way back to school.
I turn for home, there are two remote farms on the left, and as I pass the first I can see a large black dog sat beside an open gate: It is a bad tempered Labrador, and we have locked horns before. I attract his interest and he comes bounding over accompanied, today, by two other dogs. He has not come for a stroke as he bares his teeth and snarls, trying to get behind me; the other two approach barking, I shout angrily and keep facing the black dog, he takes no notice, I stop running but maintaining a walk and still facing the black dog walk slowly backwards raising my voice, this time he responds and backs off, but the other two come round to the other side snapping at my heals, I turn and charge at them, shouting orders loudly, they appear momentarily taken aback and I make my escape. I glance behind and they grudgingly return down the lane back to the farm. Feeling vulnerable and shaken, I continue with my run.
Tiredness suddenly engulfs me, and my legs feel like lead, but I dig in, there will be no rest until I arrive home. With a mile and a half to go my breathing is heavy and beads of sweat trickle down my forehead. The decision to wear a running top was a bad one. With a mile to go, and exhausted legs begging for rest, I count down the distance left until I can stop. It takes forever to run the last mile through the village, but I reach my gate, and slow to a walk, stopping the watch I find something to lean on. Of the three times I have run this course [post heart attack] this has been the fastest, knocking almost three minutes off last weeks time. Now the autopsy: Did I misjudge the pace? Did the heat get to me? Was I affected by the angry dogs? Who knows, but sat here writing this feels like I completed a Marathon this morning. Time to recover before Tuesday’s run…… But one thing drifts into my thoughts: How do you know when you are having a good run, if you never have a bad one?
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 02:39 PM

That was a tough one, but you knocked 3 minutes off, the dogs probably started the adrenaline working but you would think that dealing with them would have slowed you down.
Isn't it bad what kids had to endure with those cross country runs at school, there was no comprehension of pace or technique or fitness level.
I've never seen the discarded marijuana plants, it's probably happening a lot.
Anyway hope you have a nice restful afternoon.

Page 12 of 190 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top