Join for free
Page 13 of 190 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 > Last »
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Your mention of the cross country running at your school reminded me of my eldest son. We lived quite near the school and on one of the 'run routes'; on some days a small posse of boys would turn up, muck around for a while and then head back to school as if they had been running all along! I used to do something similar to get out of playing hockey!!

Three minutes off your previous time has to be good doesn't it even if it didn't feel like it? It's nice to know you have the occasional off day like us ordinary sedentary mortals
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Building and maintaining fitness is like building a tower with bricks, one on top of the other. The higher the tower, the fitter you become; By not building a strong enough foundation, or not placing bricks securely will allow the tower to come crashing down. You then have to start back at the beginning.
Many things can affect the stability of the tower: Old age, Health problems, Badly fitting running shoes, Not allowing enough time for recovery and over exertion.
Yesterday I placed a wobbly brick on top of the tower...
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Naughty you, you should know better
Just think, if you have to take time out from running, someone else will have to start adding to your journal or we'll all get lazy.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Freshfields ->
Naughty you, you should know better
Just think, if you have to take time out from running, someone else will have to start adding to your journal or we'll all get lazy.
Do you run FF, maybe you could start a blog too.
Wondering what any of the other readers do for fitness, maybe a group blog.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Building and maintaining fitness is like building a tower with bricks, one on top of the other. The higher the tower, the fitter you become; By not building a strong enough foundation, or not placing bricks securely will allow the tower to come crashing down. You then have to start back at the beginning.
Many things can affect the stability of the tower: Old age, Health problems, Badly fitting running shoes, Not allowing enough time for recovery and over exertion.
Yesterday I placed a wobbly brick on top of the tower...
Oh, I think you're doing pretty well so far Robert. There's going to be a wobble now and then . I've got plenty to wobble

Health is wealth and you are doing your utmost, from what I read from you, to maintain it.
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Good to hear the running is continuing well. I like the idea of the trig point hunt, having done A level Geography I know what they are and have seen a few around and about. Another feature, not so high up, are 'bench marks' used for OS mapping. Technology will replace all these things before long.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 06:30 PM

Myra is probably the nearest we have, perhaps if need be she could walk faster at least until Robert took up the reigns (or running shoes) again
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 07:30 PM

FF I walk with my group most Saturdays. At a moderate pace most of the time. Walks vary from 5 to 15 miles. However, compared to Robert's fitness, I'm a wimp I've never been a runner. However, walking makes you feel good and is definitely a de-stresser. The group was a godsend to me and I remember my first walk. I decided to join the group as I didn't just want to walk myself all the time. I googled it and got the phone number of the leader, phoned them for details. Was quick to ask if it was mainly couples, as that wasn't what I was wanting. i didn't want to be a gooseberry . However, the group vary in age, from 40's to 80's. Gender, the majority females, but a few males. A few couples, but mainly singles, made of up single, divorced and widowed. A great mix. My first walk was The Greeock Cut. i didn't know what to expect. Met at Gilmour Street Station in Paisley. I fair had butterflies in stomach that day - gulp. But they could not have been any more welcoming and the leader welcomed me, expecting me after our phone conversation the day before. There was about 20 of us and we made our way on the train to Drumfrocher. Got off and started walking towards the start of The Cut. When I saw the climb to the top of the walk I immediately had to use my inhalor. It would have been difficult to walk without it. We made it to the top - me puffing and panting! The walk was great, the views lovely. Stopping at the Rangers Centre for our packed lunch - which was inside! I was told not to expect that again as it was usually always outside - and it is. We've sat everywhere. On the top of hills, under trees, on rocks, on beaches. Just wherever we can all park our behookies for 20 minutes. What a welcome break that is. That walk varies from the straight and narrow to almost walking along a path overlooking Greenock, on the way to Wemyss Bay. Everyone was so friendly and chatty. It was eight miles, which was probably a first for me. I did go walking beforehand, but maybe not just as much. Just wee bits of the WHW. My legs were achey when we reached Wemyss Bay train station, but the wait for the next train meant popping in the Bar . I was congratulated on my first walk and someone bought me my first glass of wine to celebrate. My face was red and weary, but I was beeming on the inside. Got the train home, said our goodbyes until next week. I felt exhilarated. Went home, had a bath, dinner, one more glass of wine then zonked out. Next morning I was aching from top to toe, but boy was it worth it. That was the start of my weekly walks and it was the beginning of a great experience for me. I've also met so many good friends and had lots of laughs along the way. Just don't mention the Linlithgow walk...............
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 07:33 PM

I'm saying nothing, I'm afraid a leisurely stroll on the sea front is my limit but I am trying to go more often!! Trouble is I have to reward myself with a nice creamy cup of coffee afterwards, and sometimes a cream cake !!
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Still loving the stories , very descriptive

Page 13 of 190 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top