Join for free
Page 52 of 190 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 01:04 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Puddle Duck, I'm sure you are right. There are good days and not so good days.....

It was very warm, humid and still dark as we silently slipped into the port of Las Palmas early this morning. It was a rest day for me today so no running. My friend Michael took one look at the gymnasium the other day and was like a child in a sweetshop and had to try out all the wondrous machines within.....Today was payback time.....

The ship weighs in at 143 thousand tons and carries 3647 passengers and 1350 crew, and it reversed into a space I'd have had trouble putting my car in....Well, it was impressive anyway.

We've just returned from meandering round the shops in 29 degrees C but the highlight was taking a horse and buggy ride around the City and then finding a bakers shop that sold very tasty sandwiches.

It's Bernie Flint in concert tonight and the whole party was trying to think what was his hit single called, it wasn't until I Googled it that we remembered...
'I Don't Want to Put A Hold On You' ......Lanzarote tomorrow.....

This is Tempra the horse, who was kind enough to take us on a tour of Las Palmas..

The Beach at Las Palmas.

looks like the beach at blackpool to me but where's the donkeys??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 07:21 AM

I vaguely remember "I don't want to put a hold on you", but am buggered if I can remember "Lanzarote Tomorrow".
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 07:37 AM

Hi

Lovely blog Bob.

Cruising would do my head in, I would be sat at the back trolling a lure all day trying to catch a fish.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 04:20 PM

I just read my blog back Spitty and thought that it could be misinterpreted....Well spotted though.

Thanks Swim, cruising is doing my head in aswell, it's just one big shop on or off ship and if you were here I'd be fishing with you.

So we have just docked in the enormous quarry that is Lanzarote, it'll be alright when it's finished. For some reason it was 9:00 hours instead of 8:00 before we could leave the ship and as it was a running morning I needed to get portside as soon as possible so as not to hold up the days shopping. I don't think the rest of the party were happy. I did a five miler anyway and got back for 10:00 while everybody went up for breakfast.
We've holidayed in Lanzarote before and there are some very nice places, but not here. There is building work going on everywhere, and the row of shops down the harbourside look like they only opened yesterday with some not open yet.

It's a gauntlet that every cruise ship passenger must endure on their walk into the city centre, and not an opportunity overlooked by Mrs Fox. So we covered a mile in two hours, Mrs Fox from shop to shop and me from seat to seat along the marina. Very Cultural!

James Martin came aboard the ship yesterday and he is doing 'An Evening With' where you can ask questions and collect his signature. He didn't come and watch me run any marathons, so why should I go and watch him show me how to boil an egg....By the way, it's £150 if you want to attend one of his cookery courses on board......WHAT!

It's cost me over a hundred quid to have access to the internet for the duration of the cruise, and without being able to let off steam by way of my blogs to you, I think I would have gone bloody mad. So it was money well spent.

We should be upping anchor and chugging out of here tonight with a day at sea tomorrow followed by a final 'Black Tie Night' tomorrow night. Out final stop will be Lisbon on Thursday, a running day as it happens, and last time I was there noticed a lovely long promenade along the sea front, so that looks promising, gives me a break from the hard sell of cruise life......Think I'll chuck meself overboard in the Bay of Biscay after that, or go and join the foreign legion!

No photographs today because I only saw shops....
This has been OldGreyFox reporting for Over50's Forum from some godforsaken place somewhere in the Atlantic.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Great blog OGF ...

You'll soon be home in lovely Yorkshire so that's something to look forward to ...

I had a two night stay in the Yorkshire Dales last weekend ... absolutely gorgeous ... and I had a cruise while I was there too .... on the Skipton Canal .... lovely.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 11:14 AM

A beautiful part of Yorkshire Myrtle, I've spent many happy hours in the Yorkshire Dales running up mountains on the 'Three Peaks' or just visiting the odd cafe' and restaurant with Mrs Fox. My Uncle used to live in Skipton but unfortunately he was always out when we visited him, usually when we passing through on our way to the Lake District. Canals, as well as cruising on them, are usually flanked with towpaths and make excellent walking routes. Mrs Fox likes them because they are always flat, she doesn't like hills! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit Myrtle.

We steamed out of Lanzarote last night about five, and during the night ran into some windy weather, or so I'm told, I don't usually wake up in the night except for the toilet and manage to navigate my way there with my eyes closed. The comedian was very good last night although we saw him last year on the Ventura, he did manage to do some new stuff as well as some of the old. After a couple of drinks most things seem funny to me, so I laughed anyway, never was much of a drinker.

It's a 'sea day' today and I'm up here in the library using one of the ships computers, they are free to use, but the internet isn't. But as I mentioned earlier I paid a Kings Ransom just so I could keep in touch with everyone on Over50's Forum. You lucky people!

Britannia is such a large ship, the largest in P&O's fleet, and the newest, and being as we have only been on the Ventura it's the only one we can compare it with. Although it's all shiny and new it lacks some of the personality of the Ventura. The food is excellent but the entertainment is a bit sparse with only the odd show that just lasts for around an hour whereas on the Ventura you could enjoy a whole evening of entertainment without moving from your seat.

Judging by the length of this blog you've probably guessed that there is not much to do during a sea day, if you don't like shopping or eating that is! My assessment of this ship would be:- Take your average John Lewis Store, place slightly cramped cabins all around the periphery, make it watertight so it floats, invite a few celebrities to strut their stuff and that just about sums up the Britannia.

That's it for now, I'm going to leg it out of here before Mrs Fox finds me skulking around the Library writing blogs...She'll be coming for some more money to buy yet another piece of jewelry or perhaps a watch or a handbag, why are there never any tool shops on these ships?
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 11:29 AM

@ OGF .... the things you do to keep Mrs Fox happy ... she's a lucky lady
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-10-2016, 12:43 PM

Thanks Myrtle I try hard and sometimes it's not appreciated, but I guess it's a two way street and I can appear to be uncaring at times. Like our favourite song says....'Baby I didn't love you, half as much as I should have. Little things I should have said and done, I just never took the time......But you were always on my mind, always on my mind'......(Willie Nelson)

The sun rose on the Port Side of the ship yesterday morning as we tied up next the quayside in Lisbon, Portugal. I would have liked to have started my five mile run before sunrise but we didn't tie up until 9:00am, and by this time the sun was fairly high in the sky and it was turning out to be the hottest day of the whole cruise. It made the return run back to the ship very hard work indeed with sweat running down my forehead and stinging as it seeped into my eyes.

Lisbon is a tale of two sides of the same coin, on the one side you have some majestic historical buildings well kept, and display a proud nautical background. A large central square dominated by an enormous bleached white arch guarded by two huge lions. For just two and a half euros it is possible to climb the spiral steps all the way to the top of the arch, passing through the clock room on the way. The views from the top are stunning, with a castle on a hill (now a museum) behind, large gothic churches rising up out of a confusion of white painted buildings to the left and right, and towering high above dockside containers and warehouses, the beautiful Britannia.

On the other side of the coin are Lucky, Lucky Men who, like flies, annoy and follow you where ever you go peddling their wares from sunglasses to selfie sticks. While waiting for our shopping colleagues we were approached by three young men wanting to sell us some small silver foil packets that contained - we were advised, only the good stuff.....
I'm sorry, but I stopped smoking several years ago and have no need of external stimulation......Building work progresses at a pace with the skyline full of tall cranes making photography difficult without signs of industry or scaffolding appearing, usually in front of an attractive historical building. We sat watching the demolition of some dockside buildings while taking breakfast on the top deck of the ship. I enjoyed it but I don't think Mrs Fox was impressed.

So anyway, after avoiding numerous potholes and risking life and limb on busy streets I managed to complete my final run and return to the ship intact. Our friends got fed up waiting and decided to visit the city by themselves while I showered and went up to the restaurant to see what breakfast was still available. I shouldn't have worried, I managed to come away with the usual egg, bacon, sausage and tomatoes all washed down with a tasty mug of ships tea.....got to go now, Mrs Fox is getting impatient....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-10-2016, 05:14 PM

We left Lisbon last night and set sail for Southampton. The final sail away party was the biggest yet, and noisiest, so we shuffled up to the rail on the lower deck for a bit of peace and the music was just loud enough. It sounded like 'Last Night of the Proms' as every tune was a patriotic one. Although the sun was low on the horizon it still contained some heat, and as we had already dressed for dinner felt slightly out of place among all the tee shirt and short cladded party goers.

Today was Mrs Fox and my 44th Wedding Anniversary and Mrs Fox was feeling homesick and teary after opening all of our cards, so we had a good bawl and went up for breakfast. We've spent the day blogging (Me) and laying in the sun and shopping (Mrs Fox) with brief visits to the restaurant to top up with tea and food. The ship has now set a course North across the Bay of Biscay, very calm so far but I've a feeling that might change during the night.

I'll make a bit of an effort tonight when dressing for dinner to celebrate our special occasion I'm sure Mrs Fox will appreciate it. Just one more 'Sea Day' to go tomorrow then on Sunday morning we shall be docking in Southampton and the long drive home.

Sailing under the suspension bridge (only just) and entering the port of Lisbon..

The great arch in the square - The entrance to Lisbon City.

Lisbon skyline dominated by Britannia...

The Fox off in search of a decent cup of tea....

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-10-2016, 11:39 AM

Finished yesterday off with visit to the on board theatre to see Jimmy James sing some of the old Temptations, Drifters and Smoky Robinson hits including two of his own (Now is the Time and Go where the Music Takes Me). He can still wow the audience and even at (we think) over seventy, has not lost his voice, still the showman.

Just Googled him and he is 76.....

During the night we steamed across the Bay of Biscay which was unusually calm and even the most sensitive of our party got a good nights sleep. A walk out on deck this morning revealed a cool wind, something we have not felt for almost a fortnight.
I am still wearing shorts and intend to wear them all the way home, but jumper and trousers won't be too far away should they be necessary.

Not much time for blogging tomorrow as we have been called to leave the ship at 8:30 am, so showering and breakfast will be the priority. Most of my packing is almost complete with just essential items left out. They will collect the luggage from outside our cabin at 8:30 tonight but with a last evening meal I'll have to leave out some smart clothes - I don't think shorts and trainers would be acceptable in the dining area.

That's just about it for now, the time seems to have flown and it will soon just become a happy memory. Although I've enjoyed the trip I doubt it will make me a regular cruiser. With over three and a half thousand passengers and fifteen hundred crew you are never alone, and I miss those big open spaces where I can be alone with my thoughts. Mrs Fox says that I am an Island, well perhaps that is so, but it's nice to get away from everything that is 'Man Made' and be incommunicado for a while with just Nature for company and no distractions.

There may be time later on to post a last blog while on the ocean wave, but if not, I will be at home bonding with Maddie the cat the next time you hear from me......Probably the only one who has missed me....

Page 52 of 190 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top