Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Re: Todays bread bake

No I haven't tried sour dough bread, although I do like it. On reading up on how to prepare the yeast, it does sound a bit daunting.
I now use fast acting dried yeast as I find it increasingly difficult to buy the fresh. To be honest I think the dried makes a good loaf. I'm one of those people who never weighs, just throw in what looks right and it usually seems to work.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 04:53 PM

Today I made two sunflower wholemeal loaves and a beer bread using a bottle of OH's own IPA with rosemary and sesame which smells delicious..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertaS ->
I now use fast acting dried yeast as I find it increasingly difficult to buy the fresh. To be honest I think the dried makes a good loaf.
Fresh baker's yeast is readily available at most supermarkets and it's virtually free !! If you ask at the bakery counter at Sainsbury's you can get 200g of yeast for about 70p. That amount will last you months assuming you only bake once or twice a week.

I'm one of those people who never weighs, just throw in what looks right and it usually seems to work.
I would encourage you to always weigh every ingredient including the water. A tiny change in water can alter the overall hydration level.
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 06:55 PM

AlbertaS do you use a breadmaker or is it all by hand?

btw the loaf and rolls look delicious
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Today I made two sunflower wholemeal loaves and a beer bread using a bottle of OH's own IPA with rosemary and sesame which smells delicious..
Cass, that sounds delicious. Enjoy
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 02:49 PM

Hi Tuppy. I now always make by hand. I have in the past used a breadmaker but quite enjoy making by hand and the exercise does my arthritic hands good. Also good for taking out any frustrations
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK

23-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Fresh baker's yeast is readily available at most supermarkets and it's virtually free !! If you ask at the bakery counter at Sainsbury's you can get 200g of yeast for about 70p. That amount will last you months assuming you only bake once or twice a week.

I would encourage you to always weigh every ingredient including the water. A tiny change in water can alter the overall hydration level.
I know that I should and do with things like cakes, but for basic bread I go by the feel of the dough and how it looks. Thanks for the tip about Sainsbury selling yeast. I will try my local one on my next shopping trip.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Sorry to hear you have arthritis Alberta.

However I may be able to help you here.

Many with the condition are aware of Glucosamine & MSN tablets which help however we have found something even better.

Glucosamine Gel

It's available at Holland and Barrett stores and is sold in blue cream tubes. This gel provides virtually INSTANT relief to arthritic joints and is better than using painkiller based gels like ibuprofen gel.

It sounds too good to be true I realise, but my wife couldn't believe how quickly it removes the pain, and a friend we gave it too who had terrible back pains reported instant relief there too.

I would highly recommend you to give it a go.

The other tip would be to remove gluten from your diet for a couple of weeks. This seemed to greatly help my wife. Not easy of course when you make your own lovely bread of course, but it's only a temporary measure !

Hope this helps

ATB
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK

24-03-2015, 12:06 PM

Thanks for that recommendation Realist. I have tried the tablets but although they probably do help, I don't actually see it. I haven't seen the gel but will definitely buy when next in town. It is always worth trying something when someone has actually tried it.

Although I have arthritis in my hands, my back is the biggest problem, so interesting to hear that a friend had relief in that area.

I've thought about gluten free but have noticed that gluten free products are so expensive. Something else to look into though, maybe on the internet. I have cooked bread with spelt flour which makes quite a good loaf. I think it is gluten free.

I hope your wife's arthritis isn't too bad as it can get you down at times. Not being able to do some of the things that you could in the past gets so frustrating.

Thanks once again for taking the trouble.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

25-03-2015, 07:42 PM

I've thought about gluten free but have noticed that gluten free products are so expensive. Something else to look into though, maybe on the internet. I have cooked bread with spelt flour which makes quite a good loaf. I think it is gluten free.

I agree, store bought gluten-free products can be a little pricey. Spelt incidentally is simply another form of wheat so it does have gluten in it. It's an "ancient grain" that was around at the time of the Romans. I use it a lot, in fact I buy the actual grain in 25kg sacks and make my own flour using a home grain mill. Rye is the grain with very little gluten in it, but it's not a grain that you can make an everyday loaf with. Rye loaves are dense but full of nutty flavour.

There are plenty of gluten-free loaf recipes out there though most end up with a product that's a little "cakey". If you decide to have a go, look for recipes that use psyllium husk instead of Xantham Gums and the like. It's a natural seed which does the thickening job, going gloopy when wet.

BTW I'm not suggesting you give up gluten for good, just for maybe a few weeks. That could reduce the condition a lot. Then gradually introduce gluten back to your diet.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top