Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Homemade Soups

Spent the last few days making soups for the freezer ready for the cold days.

So there is no waste I buy packs of half baked rolls that you can pop a couple into the oven for a few minutes to finish and crust up. These with a bowl of home made soup are perfect for a nourishing hot snack.

Do you have a favourite soup and do you add anything to make it special ?

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:01 AM

Re: Homemade Soups

I am just off to make some leek soup for the freezer, the leeks are still wet with dew and so very fresh.

I like to serve it with home made olive bread or melba toast
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am just off to make some leek soup for the freezer, the leeks are still wet with dew and so very fresh.

I like to serve it with home made olive bread or melba toast
Did a batch of that Meg because at this time of the year the leeks are strong and very leeky tasting (you know what I mean) which gives a good flavour.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:15 AM

I have recently done batches of leek and Potato, Carrot and Coriander, and Tomato and Basil.

You cannot beat a good home made soup!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Did a batch of that Meg because at this time of the year the leeks are strong and very leeky tasting (you know what I mean) which gives a good flavour.
I do Solo summer leeks have neither smell or taste.
I put a couple of sticks of green celery in too, it add a little something

I am not a fan of using up old vegetable in soup either, I like them as fresh as possible for more goodness and flavour.
solo
UK

25-09-2015, 10:28 AM

Carrot and Coriander is a bit sweet for my taste Tabby but I love tomato and coriander.

Meg they say making soup is a good way to use OLD vegetable up but like you I do get fresh for most because the taste is definitely stronger and tastier. The only time I do use old is when making mushroom soup because the flavour gets richer when they are a few days old and have partially opened.

Although celeriac seems to be preferred these day I still use good old fashioned celery

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

25-09-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->

That looks delicious
I love mushroom soup I put a tiny bit of garlic in when sweating off the mushrooms in a little butter. I grow 22 bulbs of garlic each year so there is always plenty available .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 01:29 PM

I make mushroom soup, and will have to try Meg's idea. I usually just bung them in stock and cook, then puree.

I also make tomato soup, usually from the allotment if a heavy crop. Did toy with the idea of carrot and coriander, but never got round to it.

Can't get a blade of grass in my freezer right now: full of fruit.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Cream of Watercress soup is a winner - the recipe came from a Robert Le Carre cookbook. the best ever

I use up remains of vegetables and salads plus pulses, pearl barley, lentils etc to turn soup into a meal. I am not that keen on meaty soups, but Mulligatawny is quite good.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2015, 04:33 PM

I make lots of soups !
Vegetable, Minestrone, Tomato, Leek and potato, Mushroom, Tom Yum etc.
I use old veg, new veg, in fact any old veg at all.
There are no real secrets to making a good soup other than use plenty of good stock or stock cubes a bit of sugar and thicken at the end with some cornflour for veg-based soup. Add a red pepper, salt sugar and garlic to Tomato soup and pass through a sieve to remove seeds and tomato skins, then stir in a good glug of milk before serving.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top