Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Advice wanted from Whisky Drinkers

Hello Whisky Drinkers

I am considering buying my wonderful son an extremely expensive bottle of whisky for Christmas and would like your advice as to what kind of glass (yes, a tumbler.........but crystal or what???) should I get to go with that.

I'll add that he works incredibly hard, so I have no problems in him having a tot of his favourite tipple before finally going to bed, and if that makes him feel special and good, that will be great. But drinking from a grotty glass isn't going to give him that feel-good factor that a pricey tot should bring. So what to buy??? All ideas gratefully received.

Thanks............
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Re: Advice wanted from Whisky Drinkers

That's very thoughtful of you. Which whisky are you getting the lucky chap? I always use a cut crystal glass myself, though nothing too fancy.
I live right in the Scottish Malt Whisky area, and I expect most of the major distilleries sell engraved crystal glasses in their gift shops .

Google for Gleneagles crystal.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 08:48 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm - thanks, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. He said it was very expensive, but I was feeling generous........until I checked the link he sent me:
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3399.aspx

There's expensive and there's downright outrageous!!
Personally I've never enjoyed eating a meal, the cost of which can be calculated per mouthful! The whisky requested can be priced per glug!

Re-think required! Any idea?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 08:54 PM

You have basically three categories to consider -

1) A crystal or cut glass style, which widens towards the top

2) A squat - ish plain glass with a heavy thick base

3) Various types of modern curved /shaped/contoured styles

1) is usually considered the most expensive looking, but I like 2)

I don't like 3) but your son is probably younger than me, and may well do

Google & Surf 'whisky glasses' ans see what's available

Though you haven't asked, there are so many whiskies to choose from, but 'The Macallan' is generally considered among the best. Remember it's 'The Macallan' and not simply Macallan

No doubt others will come along with their suggestions, but please, this is just my opinion. Let's not turn Lindyloo's request into an argument
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:00 PM

Yes, you can spend and spend on malt whisky

Why not get 2 or 3 bottles of well known, reputable makes at a more reasonable price (for malt whisky that is!), say up to £40 per bottle, plus a glass

I would include The Macallan and Talisker

Or see if a supplier would make up a package

Or there are probably gift & presentation packs & hampers already available

Google for 'whisky hampers' and there are loads to choose from
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-12-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks whisky drinkers......... Can you recommend anything at all which is fairly close to the requested outrageously expensive tipple, without the price tag? I hope my son's expectations reflect his earnings...........but they certainly don't reflect mine!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Goodness that's an expensive Whisky !

I do hope what ever you buy will be wonderful and appreciated.

I've never been a great one for Whisky, but the stuff we had in the bars in Ireland when on hols in the 1980s (Irish Whisky, or is it Whiskey ?) was amazingly smooth, like Brandy.

I have bought a couple of bottles of Bell's for my friend who looked after my animals while I was away for a week recently ... I thought that was expensive at the reduced price of ? £13 a bottle !!! Suspect he'll drink it out of a mug
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks whisky drinkers......... Can you recommend anything at all which is fairly close to the requested outrageously expensive tipple, without the price tag? I hope my son's expectations reflect his earnings...........but they certainly don't reflect mine!
Whisky is my favourite tipple Lindyloo. The contents are more important to me than the actual glass. There is a bewildering number of varieties and ages of malt whisky. You cannot compare a peaty Islay malt with a Speyside malt for instance.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
hmmmmmmmmmm - thanks, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts. He said it was very expensive, but I was feeling generous........until I checked the link he sent me:
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-3399.aspx

There's expensive and there's downright outrageous!!
Personally I've never enjoyed eating a meal, the cost of which can be calculated per mouthful! The whisky requested can be priced per glug!

Re-think required! Any idea?
Does the single malt have to be that particular Laphroaig Lindyloo. You should be able to get a decent single malt for a lot less than that. If you go back into the whisky exchange website you can find single malts from about £30 a bottle - so many to choose from. Best thing to do is pick the price you are comfortable with and go from there - there are other Laphroaig whisky's to choose from cheaper than the £150 one. My OH likes the Glenlivet or the Glenfiddich single malts - they are Speyside ones as is the Laphroaig. As for the glass - a largish (200ml) heavy flat, straight sided crystal tumbler - something like a Dartington if you don't want cut crystal. If a cut glass is preferred, I still like the Waterford Glass Lismore pattern.
Not to everyones taste but have you thought about a liqueur whisky. The one I quite like a tipple of is the Glayva and that's easily available and not too expensive. Happy choosing. Rena
http://www.johnlewis.com/waterford-l...-of-2/p1801275
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Does the single malt have to be that particular Laphroaig Lindyloo. You should be able to get a decent single malt for a lot less than that. If you go back into the whisky exchange website you can find single malts from about £30 a bottle - so many to choose from. Best thing to do is pick the price you are comfortable with and go from there - there are other Laphroaig whisky's to choose from cheaper than the £150 one. My OH likes the Glenlivet or the Glenfiddich single malts - they are Speyside ones as is the Laphroaig. As for the glass - a largish (200ml) heavy flat, straight sided crystal tumbler - something like a Dartington if you don't want cut crystal. If a cut glass is preferred, I still like the Waterford Glass Lismore pattern.
Not to everyones taste but have you thought about a liqueur whisky. The one I quite like a tipple of is the Glayva and that's easily available and not too expensive. Happy choosing. Rena
http://www.johnlewis.com/waterford-l...-of-2/p1801275
Laphroaig is an Islay malt not Speyside Aerolor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top