Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:51 PM

Re: Advice wanted from Whisky Drinkers

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Goodness that's an expensive Whisky !

I do hope what ever you buy will be wonderful and appreciated.
It certainly is! I suppose I should be grateful he seems to be going for quality, not quantity!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
It certainly is! I suppose I should be grateful he seems to be going for quality, not quantity!
Ah yes ... this is a good sign .... well done Mum
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Does the single malt have to be that particular Laphroaig Lindyloo. You should be able to get a decent single malt for a lot less than that. If you go back into the whisky exchange website you can find single malts from about £30 a bottle - so many to choose from. Best thing to do is pick the price you are comfortable with and go from there - there are other Laphroaig whisky's to choose from cheaper than the £150 one.
When did it get down to £150? The website I looked at shows it at £199 !!!

Yes please - lots of advice at getting quality for less........
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Has he tried Laphroaig? It is a very peaty single malt which, to me, tastes more like medicine than a pleasant drink.
I much prefer the milder and smooth Speyside Single malts - especially a Glenlivet, or a Balvenie; or the wonderful Glenmorangie from the northern Highlands.
My favourite glass was bought for me as a present. It is very heavy, has a thick circular base and a square rim. The base is 3/4" thick. Holding the glass is a pleasure in itself. Drinking from it is sublime.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
When did it get down to £150? The website I looked at shows it at £199 !!!

Yes please - lots of advice at getting quality for less........
Oops! sorry my mistake - £199 it was. Still there is plenty of choice on that website, something to suit every whisky drinker's pocket I would think. Some I noticed are even nearly £30,000 a bottle. Do you drink it or put it behind your ears?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:15 PM

I've found Laphroaig to be very peaty. For something a bit more special but not over expensive, try Laphroaig Cask strength. I like it but my favourite Islay malt is 16 yo Lagavuilin. Do you specifically want an Islay malt? Otherwise I would heartily recommend Glenfarclas 105 or 'The Glenlivit' 18 yo. Note it's "The Glenlivit", not "Glenlivit"

Sorry to say, but Glenfiddich is a bit of a mass produced tourist malt IMO.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Laphroaig is an Islay malt not Speyside Aerolor
You are right Scot37 - I read it wrongly - I just looked again and realised. There are so many to go at - has anyone ever tried them all? Hic
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
My favourite glass was bought for me as a present. It is very heavy, has a thick circular base and a square rim. The base is 3/4" thick. Holding the glass is a pleasure in itself. Drinking from it is sublime.
That's THE glass to get then!
Can you please let me know where I can find one like that??
...........I have my digits crossed that it will be surprisingly economical..........though somehow doubt it!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-12-2015, 10:54 PM

Oops! sorry my mistake - £199 it was. Still there is plenty of choice on that website, something to suit every whisky drinker's pocket I would think. Some I noticed are even nearly £30,000 a bottle. Do you drink it or put it behind your ears?
I think you may stick it in a vault in Hatton Garden....... but you surely can't drink anything that expensive!

I find it difficult chewing a good steak if I can price it at more than £1 a mouthful!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:56 PM

You are right Scot37 - I read it wrongly - I just looked again and realised. There are so many to go at - has anyone ever tried them all? Hic
I will be 78 tomorrow Aerolor and have been drinking whisky since a teenager but I am not a connoisseur. The average punter would have difficulty distinguishing between the luxury brands. I myself drink Bells and for something special an Islay malt or a Highland Park from Orkney.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top