Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 12:31 AM

Re: Advice wanted from Whisky Drinkers

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks whisky drinkers......... Can you recommend anything at all which is fairly close to the requested outrageously expensive tipple, without the price tag? I hope my son's expectations reflect his earnings...........but they certainly don't reflect mine!
Laphroaig do a ten-year version for around £26 which I can recommend. Laphroaig is an Islay malt and is quite peaty and smoky in taste, does your son like this sort of whisky? It can be an acquired taste.

Glenmorangie is a nice brew but a bit overpriced these days. Jura whiskys are good too, try the `Origin` and `Superstition`, the Superstition one being slightly peaty. I bought the son-in-law (to be ) a Superstition gift box last year, it came with a 70cl bottle of the malt and two heavy based etched glass tumblers (just in case he wanted to offer me a glass ) Expect to pay around £35 per bottle for either but could be found cheaper in supermarkets.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Does the single malt have to be that particular Laphroaig Lindyloo. You should be able to get a decent single malt for a lot less than that. If you go back into the whisky exchange website you can find single malts from about £30 a bottle - so many to choose from. Best thing to do is pick the price you are comfortable with and go from there - there are other Laphroaig whisky's to choose from cheaper than the £150 one. My OH likes the Glenlivet or the Glenfiddich single malts - they are Speyside ones as is the Laphroaig. As for the glass - a largish (200ml) heavy flat, straight sided crystal tumbler - something like a Dartington if you don't want cut crystal. If a cut glass is preferred, I still like the Waterford Glass Lismore pattern.
Not to everyones taste but have you thought about a liqueur whisky. The one I quite like a tipple of is the Glayva and that's easily available and not too expensive. Happy choosing. Rena
http://www.johnlewis.com/waterford-l...-of-2/p1801275
Glenfiddich 20 year old malt and Glava in particular would do me also, plus I use the same type of glass. Problem is I would never drink much of it and suspect I could find bottles in the garage that have been there years.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 01:22 PM

I enjoy a whiskey, I do like the taste of this one.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-40-Glenfiddich.aspx

Nice selection of affordable glasses.

http://www.alexanderandjames.com/acc...x0EFFw&sm=true
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 08:01 PM

UPDATE UPDATE

The link I was given for that whisky was with the Whisky Exchange - price £199. A little more research shows that the price has rocketed because it's the 200th anniversary edition and purchases are limited. Most suppliers have sold out - including Laphroaig themselves! BUT......I have found somewhere still selling it at (I think) the original price.......and have placed an order with them! I have checked and double checked that it is the correct stuff - so I either get it, or will be told they've also sold out, in which case plan B is an American supplier! Seems this stuff isn't for drinking at all, but a collectors item!

Now to email my son and ask how many bottles he'd like then to figure out how to convince him I bought it at full price from the Whisky Exchange!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top