Join for free
Page 55 of 95 « First < 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Re: What book are you reading now?

A complete change for me now.
Last night I started Joan Collins book called 'Star Quality'

It's about a kitchen maid who has a beautiful singing voice.
She gets discovered and becomes a star.

I'm enjoying it so far...
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2018, 09:45 AM

I also have just read a book which I normally would not have chosen but whilst browsing in a charity book shop A cover caught my eye so I flicked through the pages and was hooked immediately..so bought it. Light reading for the beach and very enjoyable.

It is The Duchess by Danielle Steel.

Angelique Latham grew up at the magnificent Belgrave Castle with her father, the Duke of Westerfield, after the death of her mother. But when he dies, her half-brothers brutally deny her very existence and send her out into the world alone.

At eighteen, Angelique has a keen mind, remarkable beauty and an envelope of money her late father pressed upon her. Unable to secure employment, Angelique desperately makes her way to Paris. To survive, she will need all her resources - and one bold stroke of fortune.

Angelique takes an unfamiliar and unimaginable path in setting up what becomes a highly successful business. But she lives on the edge of scandal; can she ever make a life for herself?

From England to Paris and New York, Danielle Steel paints a captivating portrait of a woman of unquenchable spirit in The Duchess.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Just picked up a copy of "Day of the Dead" by Nicci French.

And I'm excited. I've enjoyed this whole Frieda Klein series.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've just finished 'The girl on the train' and to be honest I didn't think I'd see it through to the end but I did.

I had no sympathy for the main character - her friend must have been a saint to let her stay in her flat - getting drunk, being sick all over the place....

The other two women seemed to be unstable too!

It was alright but not one I could say I enjoyed.
It's one I enjoyed ... the underlying spookiness.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 09:45 AM

I've just started a book called 'Don't wake up' by Liz Lawler.

This woman wakes up on the operating table and hovering over her is a masked surgeon. Her arms are tied together and he has her legs up in stirrups and tells her in a menacing voice that he's going to perform a vulvectomy on her!

She knows there's nothing wrong with here and can't remember going on the operating table. How did she get there?

Why was she found outside under a shrub two hours later totally unharmed?

Nobody believes her story but she knows it happened ....

I'm totally riveted to this book.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:49 PM

I've recently finished Sleeping in the Ground by Peter Robinson. Was just the latest book in his Inspector Banks series.

I've started another one but for the life of me I can't remember the title or the blummin author (without going upstairs to look) but it's quite good. Old age is a terrible thing
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Just going to start "The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton.
Hope I like it
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

18-08-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I've recently finished Sleeping in the Ground by Peter Robinson. Was just the latest book in his Inspector Banks series.
I've read that and most of series. Not bad, I think they're more exciting when an enquiry takes him out of Yorkshire ... to London, across the pond, and wasn't he in one of the Baltic counties in one of the stories?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 04:20 AM

I've just finished reading Bruce Dickinson's autobiography "What does this button do?"
Bruce is the lead vocalist with heavy metal band Iron Maiden but this book also shows the man's extremely diverse other talents as airline pilot, children's author, champion fencer, real ale brewer and cancer survivor.
A thoroughly enjoyable read.

I do enjoy reading autobiographies. I have placed orders for Phil Collins' "Not dead yet" and Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones' "Lonely Boy.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

27-08-2018, 09:41 AM

I'm in the middle of reading 'How to walk away' by Kathering Center.

This is a story of hope & inspiration. The central character is Maggie - a lovely young woman who has everything going for her. Then on the eve of her engagement to her fiancé Charlie she's involved in an accident which leaves her paralysed..

Page 55 of 95 « First < 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top