Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 11:53 PM

Re: Fermenting Vegetables

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Always had my reservations with those type of jars Azz because they are clearly not airlocks. The rubber seal is either airtight or it is not. If it is not airtight then oxygen must be able to get in to some extent.

Hence I favour either Sterilocks or brewers airlocks to make certain there can never be any air in the jars.
They have been fine with my batches. There is a lot more air inside the huge fermenting crocks as you don't need to fill them to the top - the dos important thing is keeping the veg submerged under the juices
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
They have been fine with my batches. There is a lot more air inside the huge fermenting crocks as you don't need to fill them to the top - the dos important thing is keeping the veg submerged under the juices
I agree. The large fermenting pots, for me, are not really any good, mostly because they are made of stone/ceramic and are not see-through. So you can not determine what is going on inside, whether there is mould developing etc and as a result you would need to open up the pot, take a look and fiddle around constantly. Even then you would have no idea at all if there was anything nasty growing further down in the pot.

An airlock of some kind is absolutely essential to prevent any oxygen entering the pot/jar and for me, glass is the only suitable container because you can see exactly what is going on at all times without opening the pot.

Considering the relatively cheap outlay for a few Sterilocks or airlocks that will last a long time, I don't see the investment case for any other less secure solution.

The jars with rubber seals you've mentioned I think are known as "Pickl-iT" jars in the US but I suspect are designed for pickles with vinegars which is a different process entirely. They may well allow gasses to escape but must also surely let oxygen in but I presume with the vinegar pickles you don't get the same spoilage/mould issues.
CJforever
Victoria Canada
CJforever is female 

21-06-2016, 01:01 AM

And Kombucha tea! About a shot glass amount daily. Unbelievable how much better my 'system' has been. These are pre-biotics which keep the healthy bacteria at work.....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2016, 09:39 AM

I prefer my fermented veg with lots of sugar and yeast (hic)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top