Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Monarchs

Why is our present monarch called Elizabeth II?
This is not as trivial as it sounds.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 06:48 PM

Re: Monarchs

Okay ... I must be missing something but will give the only, simple answer I know.

Elizabeth II, only to the English, following on after Elizabeth Tudor., who never had an ordinal number as the first of the name don't until another comes along.

Elizabeth I to the Scots, as she is the first to them .. as Elizabeth Tudor didn't rule them as they were independent.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 07:51 PM

That's it in a nutshell, Morticia.

Although Elizabeth II is entitled to use the style Elizabeth II in Scotland and in the states that were once former dominions, for reasons explained in this article.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinio...of_the_Border/
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 08:05 PM

That was a good link ... It's all a bit more involved than I thought Boots.

I can remember in my youth chatting to some Scots in the local pub. Nice friendly people.
Until ... a row got going about this Elizabeth I or Elizabeth II thing ... and by the time I'd wriggled to safety a fight had blown up in the car park and the police had to be called.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
That was a good link ... It's all a bit more involved than I thought Boots.

I can remember in my youth chatting to some Scots in the local pub. Nice friendly people.
Until ... a row got going about this Elizabeth I or Elizabeth II thing ... and by the time I'd wriggled to safety a fight had blown up in the car park and the police had to be called.
ooo-err ... the fight was nowt to do with you, I suppose?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 08:22 PM

So why did James VI become James I after the Union of the Crowns in 1603?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

20-08-2018, 08:25 PM

Sixth of Scotland.
First of England and the new whole shebang of countries.

Leastways that was what I was taught at school ... many many decades ago.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

20-08-2018, 08:28 PM

Same as the Scots don't recognise any King Henry.

But neither do English, or Brits, recognise any Robert or Malcolm.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

20-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Having said that I don't know where the Welsh stand on this before they were conquered by Edward I... whether they recongise William I, William II or the Norman and Angevin kings.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 08:33 PM

I'm jealous of her surname of "II". It would be so much easier to sign my name off with "II" instead of my long-winded real surname.
She also has another surname too, which is "R". Apparently.

I wonder if she is a secret rapper?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top