Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Re: Monarchs

Originally Posted by morticia ->
you think that's confusing ..

Try this.
I think the beginning and end of a year used to be calculated by the regnal year ... So, 6 henry ii ..would actually be the sixth year of the reign of henry ii and it began on his coronation date.

A right headache.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:09 PM

Have to admit I only came across it when delving into old wills and Chancery court rolls doing family history research.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:10 PM

Now Phil Spencer is talking about Belvoir Castle (pronounced Beaver Castle) How confusing is that to the Americans?
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
So why did James VI become James I after the Union of the Crowns in 1603?
As far as I am aware, the Union of the Crowns in 1603 didn't create one United Kingdom. James VI of Scotland inherited the throne of England as James I and was effectively wearing 2 separate crowns of two autonomous states, with separate Parliaments.
It wasn't until The Acts of Union passed by each Parliament in 1706 & 1707 that we became a fully United Kingdom.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2018, 09:18 PM

Now that sounds an altogether better answer than I gave.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
As far as I am aware, the Union of the Crowns in 1603 didn't create one United Kingdom. James VI of Scotland inherited the throne of England as James I and was effectively wearing 2 separate crowns of two autonomous states, with separate Parliaments.
It wasn't until The Acts of Union passed by each Parliament in 1706 & 1707 that we became a fully United Kingdom.
Thanks. I have always found that a bit confusing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 02:48 AM

The Queen of Australia is Elizabeth II though no-one can recall who Elizabeth I was.

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Having said that I don't know where the Welsh stand on this before they were conquered by Edward I... whether they recongise William I, William II or the Norman and Angevin kings.
A story and a half for the Welsh.

Henry I , 4th son of William the Conqueror had his way with Princess Nest of Wales. She was married to Gerald of Windsor, constable of Windsor Castle and she was the only legitimate daughter of the last King of South Wales.

It is said that Princess Nest had numerous illegitimate children by Henry I and it was his way of infiltrating the then country which was called Cambria during the Roman period.

Two of Henry's illegitimate sons to Nest, Philip le Waleys and Richard le Waleys ( I think I've got both names right but there were two of them) went to Ireland to fight and the Welshmen were referred to as Le Waleys. I assume that is where the name Wales came from . Philips son Haylen le Waleys went to fight in Ireland with Strongbow the name changed to Walsh.
It later became Wallace ('Waleys') in Scotland.
The Wallace family first went to Scotland in 11th Century . William Wallace son of Sir Malcolm Wallace son of Adam Le Waleys descended from Guillaume de Waleys. (or so I have read)

Robert de Bruce died around 1305 , widow Eleanor married a Sir Richard Le Waleys of Burgh Wallis , Yorkshire.

To me it appears that the 'Waleys' and descendants of Henry I have managed to creep around the British Isles starting in Wales and retained their influence as fairly powerful positions and land owners.
Needless to say there's loads more which is more entangled than Miss Havisham's cobwebs.

Helpful ?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top