Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:13 PM

Sponge kisses !

Whipped these up earlier to go with a cup of tea later.
They are so simple to make, and only 8 minutes baking in the oven!
I believe they first originated in Scotland. Three cheers for the Scots.

Do have a go, I promise you they are delicious.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Re: Sponge kisses !

Silly me, Recipe to follow asap.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

24-03-2019, 06:32 PM

1/3 cup sieved flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs - separated
200ml double cream
jam of your choice
icing sugar to dredge
a little vanilla extract to put into the cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 180c and line a baking tray with baking paper. Dust with icing sugar generously.

Separate the eggs, empty the whites into a clean bowl, and using a mixer (or by hand if you are brave), whip the whites for 30 seconds to break the whites before very slowly adding the caster sugar bit by bit. You want to see a white shiny and glossy finish, just like meringue.

Add the egg yolks until combined. Not a second more.

Sieve enough flour over the egg mixture to cover it and gently fold in avoiding letting too much air escape. Use up the rest of the flour until all folded in.

Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture onto your baking tray taking note that the cakes will spread. If you want them perfectly round, a small ice cream scoop is ideal.

Bake for 7/8 minutes. remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool.

When cool, spread your jam on one or both sides, a dollop of whipped cream, other lid on, dust with sieved icing sugar and yum!

Enjoy!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Oh heck, they look and sound delicious.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 06:58 PM

They look lovely.
Any for me?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
1/3 cup sieved flour
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 eggs - separated
200ml double cream
jam of your choice
icing sugar to dredge
a little vanilla extract to put into the cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 220C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Dust with icing sugar generously.

Separate the eggs, empty the whites into a clean bowl, and using a mixer (or by hand if you are brave), whip the whites for 30 seconds to break the whites before very slowly adding the caster sugar bit by bit. You want to see a white shiny and glossy finish, just like meringue.

Add the egg yolks until combined. Not a second more.

Sieve enough flour over the egg mixture to cover it and gently fold in avoiding letting too much air escape. Use up the rest of the flour until all folded in.

Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture onto your baking tray taking note that the cakes will spread. If you want them perfectly round, a small ice cream scoop is ideal.

Bake for 7/8 minutes. remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool.

When cool, spread your jam on one or both sides, a dollop of whipped cream, other lid on, dust with sieved icing sugar and yum!

Enjoy!

Oh strewth no, - too much faffing about, just send the finished articles !!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:35 AM

They look lovely, will have to try them next bake. Already done today's viennese whirls and trying not to test them
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Oh Shropshiregirl, I am sure that you are trying to get me fat, what with your Ice cream (which I am now addicted to) and now these, which I will of course have to cook and try, as they look so yummy.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

26-03-2019, 02:25 PM

LOL, Sorry Ragdoll, I would hate to think I am tempting you too much.

Just a footnote on the above. On one recipe it says 220C. but on the recipe video that I fowarded here, it recommended 180C. Mine were delicious but not white as they advised. So made another quick batch this morning using the oven at 180C and to be honest, they came out much lighter, whiter and fluffier. So I would definitely recommend 180C for 8 minutes.
I will contact lovely Meg to see if she would kindly change it here on the recipe page.

xxx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

26-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Bless you Meg! I should really start using my fan-assisted oven. The only time I ever use it is when I am reheating or cooking pies to ensure the bottoms are never "soggy". And that was only because a kind poster on here suggested using it for just that reason. Otherwise, my fan-assisted oven must be the cleanest in Shropshire because it is never used. I am so used to my ordinary oven.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top