Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Local elections 2nd May - What's the plan?

Just received voting cards for the upcoming local elections (for what it's worth). I really cannot be bothered to vote for anything anymore so I might just ignore it or spoil my paper. I know people fought hard for the vote but what's the point if no one takes any notice of the result.

What will you be doing?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Re: Local elections 2nd May - What's the plan?

Not sure yet.
I did look up my local MP who was in favour of Brexit and does not appear to be too much of a namby pamby.

I'm inclined to vote anything BUT Tory or Labour.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Not sure yet.
I did look up my local MP who was in favour of Brexit and does not appear to be too much of a namby pamby.

I'm inclined to vote anything BUT Tory or Labour.
Our local councillor is independent apparently (never seen her anywhere to confirm it though).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 04:42 PM

I have had my voting card and yes I will be voting in my local elections .

I vote without taking into account any political party affiliations and I will be voting for my excellent councillor Tom who lives 5 miles away and I see walking around this village .

Tom has given excellent service over the years , I though we had lost him when he was involved in a freak accident and received extensive burns but he returned to carry on being our local representative and fighting for our concerns the latest of which was blocking a housing development which would have resulted in the loss of some of our ancient common land which dates back to a charter of 1875.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Just received voting cards for the upcoming local elections (for what it's worth). I really cannot be bothered to vote for anything anymore so I might just ignore it or spoil my paper. I know people fought hard for the vote but what's the point if no one takes any notice of the result.

What will you be doing?

In my opinion, spoiling one's ballot paper is akin to an abstention (protest) vote, which I have done on two occasions, and is preferable to not voting at all, as spoiled papers are counted and are listed in the number of votes, and noticed.

I will wait and see what the candidates say, but I am tempted to go down the route of independents, as the existing parties have, to date at least, just done nothing but earn my contempt.

If no independent grabs my attention, it will be a spoiled vote. I refuse NOT to vote, iyswim, given how it's not been all that long since everyone, male or female, has actually been entitled to vote.
Everyone knows about female emancipation, but some time before that, only males who owned land were entitiled to vote, which disenfranchised a huge sector of the male population.

I feel everyone should go and vote, even if it is a protest vote by spoiling the paper, which, in the absence of a proper abstention tick box, is the only way to protest.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 05:02 PM

Spot on LD we had a election only last week because the Labour guy moved to a different job. Conservatives were up in arms saying it will only be a short while before the local election so why waste council money of voting in some one for such a short period.
Which I must admit I found them right on this.
It is rather silly, why not just let a caretaker leader take charge until the proper local election.
Anyways long and short of it is when they came knocking I told them to sod off.
Just like you say why vote some bugger in who only wants to do his own thing and not what the people want.
So come the election in May and the GE when that comes around, I will be doing the same and telling them all to bugger off,
I just cannot be bothered anymore especially after today and the Brexit failure.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have had my voting card and yes I will be voting in my local elections .

I vote without taking into account any political party affiliations and I will be voting for my excellent councillor Tom who lives 5 miles away and I see walking around this village .

Tom has given excellent service over the years , I though we had lost him when he was involved in a freak accident and received extensive burns but he returned to carry on being our local representative and fighting for our concerns the latest of which was blocking a housing development which would have resulted in the loss of some of our ancient common land which dates back to a charter of 1875.
If you know your local councillor then I suppose it makes sense to vote for him if you are happy. I'm just wondering when the protest should start and how far the chain it should go.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-03-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
In my opinion, spoiling one's ballot paper is akin to an abstention (protest) vote, which I have done on two occasions, and is preferable to not voting at all, as spoiled papers are counted and are listed in the number of votes, and noticed.

I will wait and see what the candidates say, but I am tempted to go down the route of independents, as the existing parties have, to date at least, just done nothing but earn my contempt.

If no independent grabs my attention, it will be a spoiled vote. I refuse NOT to vote, iyswim, given how it's not been all that long since everyone, male or female, has actually been entitled to vote.
Everyone knows about female emancipation, but some time before that, only males who owned land were entitiled to vote, which disenfranchised a huge sector of the male population.

I feel everyone should go and vote, even if it is a protest vote by spoiling the paper, which, in the absence of a proper abstention tick box, is the only way to protest.
I have never done it before and I know local elections are nothing to do with Europe as such but it does seem a good option this time, for me anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Spot on LD we had a election only last week because the Labour guy moved to a different job. Conservatives were up in arms saying it will only be a short while before the local election so why waste council money of voting in some one for such a short period.
Which I must admit I found them right on this.
It is rather silly, why not just let a caretaker leader take charge until the proper local election.
Anyways long and short of it is when they came knocking I told them to sod off.
Just like you say why vote some bugger in who only wants to do his own thing and not what the people want.
So come the election in May and the GE when that comes around, I will be doing the same and telling them all to bugger off,
I just cannot be bothered anymore especially after today and the Brexit failure.
That made me laugh Longfellow, sort of back to the good old days of not giving a toss who was in. I can remember telling a few to b*gger off myself.

They don't even bother knocking on doors around here so I don't have a clue what they stand for.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Just depends who's trying to get my vote considering I've not seen hide nor hair of any of the buggers since the last council elections nor have I had any of the usual bumpf stuffed in my letterbox. Looks like I'll have to go online and see who's who.

Probably end up writing none of these tossers on the voting slip.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top