Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 03:34 AM

Your favourite year

Do you have a year in your life which has been the most memorable for you?
Perhaps it's when you were married, or an event which pleased you the most. Maybe it was something bad that happened in the news or a personal tragedy.

I'm going to pick 1979 as my favourite year. At age 14-15 and being interested in music it was a great period of time: The charts were at the best and most varied time ever with songs which became classics from Pink Floyd, Blondie, Abba, Gary Numan, Adam & The Ants etc with so many different musical styles such as new-wave, disco and heavy metal.
There were also some fantastic films: Alien, Mad Max etc.

More personally, I was into my last couple of years at senior high school enjoying my rebellious side and discovering gurls for the first time and wondering what this alien species was all about

Depressingly, Margaret Thatcher came to power in 1979 and what is unbelievably more horrific is that I share my birthday with her (date, not age!).

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Re: Your favourite year

For me it's 1981. I had a good job, owned my own house and several cars and motorbikes, had good friends, and no cares in the world.

Then my Lovely Cousin of seventeen summers asked me if I wanted to "go serious" with her. To the absolute surprise of nobody in our family, we started dating.
We got engaged the following year, and married the year after.

We are not blood related, having met and become cousins when my Uncle married her mother. Despite me being ten years older than her, we just hit it off from day one and quickly became friends.

Thirty five years of married bliss and two kids later, I can still picture the exact moment when she asked me out and started the whole process off.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Very romantic story Fruitcake. For me it was 1958 when I first met my wife to be. I was 18 and she was 14. We were married in !962. 57 years, 3 sons and 14 grandchildren later.....watch this space!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
For me it's 1981. I had a good job, owned my own house and several cars and motorbikes, had good friends, and no cares in the world.

Then my Lovely Cousin of seventeen summers asked me if I wanted to "go serious" with her. To the absolute surprise of nobody in our family, we started dating.
We got engaged the following year, and married the year after.

We are not blood related, having met and become cousins when my Uncle married her mother. Despite me being ten years older than her, we just hit it off from day one and quickly became friends.

Thirty five years of married bliss and two kids later, I can still picture the exact moment when she asked me out and started the whole process off.
That's lovely Fruitcake.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Very romantic story Fruitcake. For me it was 1958 when I first met my wife to be. I was 18 and she was 14. We were married in !962. 57 years, 3 sons and 14 grandchildren later.....watch this space!
That's a lovely story, and I have some catching up to equal you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 12:59 PM

1984 I met my husband in beginning if February after I joined a computer dating club at Christmas, we married 6 weeks later and that first year we had a lot of fun and laughter, got my first dog and was pregnant for the first time. Absolutely lovely time in our lives.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 01:06 PM

!969 was quite a busy year with (it seemed) something happening every week which changed the world and therefore me - the following list is not inclusive:
Major News Stories include
  • January 30th The Beatles, with Billy Preston, gave their final live performance on the roof of the Apple
  • May 23rd The Who released the concept album Tommy.
  • July 5th The Rolling Stones free concert in Hyde Park featuring Third Ear Band, King Crimson, Alexis Korner's New Church, Family and The Battered Ornaments drew a crowd estimated at between 250,000 and 500,000
  • July 20th Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon.
  • August 15th to 18th The Woodstock Festival attracted an audience of approximately 500,000 to watch 35 performers including Santana, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band, Sly & the Family Stone, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, The Band, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Jimi Hendrix
  • August 30th and 31st Isle of Wight Festival attracted an audience of approximately 150,000 to watch 26 performers including Bob Dylan, The Who, Joe Cocker and Free
  • September 13th Toronto Rock and Roll Revival attracted an audience of approximately 20,000 to watch 20 performers including Chicago, Alice Cooper, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Little Richard and John Lennon, Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band
  • September 26th The Beatles release Abbey Road which was not the group's final album to be released to the public but it was their final album to be recorded together.
  • December 6th Altamont Speedway Free Festival attracted an audience of approximately 300,000 to watch 10 performers including The Rolling Stones, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

More News and Key Events From 1969
  • Vietnam War Protests - 250,000 march on Washington in protest at the Vietnam War
  • RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 entered service
  • Robin Knox-Johnston becomes the first person to sail around the world solo without stopping
  • Chappaquiddick Affair Senator Edward Kennedy driving a car plunges into a pond on July 25th and a body of a woman passenger is later found in the car
  • Members of a cult led by Charles Manson murder five people
  • Richard Nixon becomes President of the United States
  • Britain deploys troops in Northern Ireland following increasing violence
  • The Death Penalty is Abolished in the UK
  • The Groundbreaking TV programme Monty Python's Flying Circus is shown for the first time and the catch phrase "And now for something completely different," becomes their trade mark
  • Sesame Street known for its Muppet characters, makes it's debut on PBS
  • Brian Jones Former Rolling Stones Guitarist drowns after drinking and drugs binge.

Popular Films include

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
True Grit
Midnight Cowboy
Easy Rider

Technology
  • First Concorde test flight is conducted In France
  • The Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut. It carried 191 people, most of them reporters and photographers, from Seattle to New York City.
  • The Harrier Jump Jet enters service with the RAF
  • First transplant of human eye
  • Seiko sells the first Quartz Watch
  • The first automatic teller machine ATM or Cash Machine is installed in the United States
  • Creation of ARPANET, the predecessor of the Internet
  • UNIX is developed by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs
  • The Microprocessor (a miniature set of integrated circuits ) is invented opening the way for the computer revolution that followed
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 02:32 PM

The 70s was my decade ...young, free and single .... drugs and rock and roll.

1990 was a good year, I was married by then, in a well paid cushy job, and made redundant, getting a fat wad pay off. Bought a camper van and went to Portugal for a few months, camping in a dozen different spots up & down the country starting with Ms d00d's hometown Guarda
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 08:04 AM

For me it was probably when I was 17 but I didn't know it at the time....other than that probably when the kids were tiny. Gosh they were cute
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 08:43 AM

Best year - 1972 - when I bought my first home.
Worst - 1998 - my lovely Aunt/Godmother died.

This year is looking good - so far!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top