Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Dust and Hail

When I was driving from Bourke to Orange the weather varied from bright sunshine to rain and hail.

As I drove in sunshine the wind picked up and this wind picked up the dust, if you think fog is bad try driving in dust.

That is some poor farmer's top soil.

The dash cam photo has the location if you want to look up where this happened (I wouldn't bother)

When I arrived in Orange (a god forsakenly cold place) it hailed for a a bit only 3mm hail fortunately it almost instantly stopped and didn't rain again.

BTW water restrictions start in the Sydney region on the 1st June as the drought has reduced dam levels to 50% I think something like 98% of the state is in drought and some places have been on level 5 restrictions for some time. Walgett has been on undrinkable bore water for months.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-05-27-18h26m10s481.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	9699   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-05-27-18h24m33s914.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	9700  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Re: Dust and Hail

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
When I was driving from Bourke to Orange the weather varied from bright sunshine to rain and hail.

As I drove in sunshine the wind picked up and this wind picked up the dust, if you think fog is bad try driving in dust.

That is some poor farmer's top soil.

The dash cam photo has the location if you want to look up where this happened (I wouldn't bother)

When I arrived in Orange (a god forsakenly cold place) it hailed for a a bit only 3mm hail fortunately it almost instantly stopped and didn't rain again.

BTW water restrictions start in the Sydney region on the 1st June as the drought has reduced dam levels to 50% I think something like 98% of the state is in drought and some places have been on level 5 restrictions for some time. Walgett has been on undrinkable bore water for months.
Why is the borehole water undrinkable Brucy, l know it can
be unpleasant sometimes due to what minerals are in the
area,
Quite often though the correct system of filtration can improve
it substantially!
Or are the boreholes running dry? due to the aquifers
becoming depleted due to over use?
Farming can be a big factor in this!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 04:00 AM

Wow! Those are some photos! Hail, dust....locusts next?

El Niņo conditions that have been going on for quite a few months are probably driving that drought, Bruce. Hopefully it eases soon.

We are in near drought conditions here too, with no rainfall for weeks, while my family in the middle of the U.S. are facing tornadoes, 80 in Kansas last month alone, and flooding rains.

Hope you find some calmer weather on your adventure!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Wow! Those are some photos! Hail, dust....locusts next?

El Niņo conditions that have been going on for quite a few months are probably driving that drought, Bruce. Hopefully it eases soon.

We are in near drought conditions here too, with no rainfall for weeks, while my family in the middle of the U.S. are facing tornadoes, 80 in Kansas last month alone, and flooding rains.

Hope you find some calmer weather on your adventure!
To be fair it was only one bad day in otherwise perfect weather, personally I don't mind drought if only because the grass doesn't grow so I don't have to cut it.

This drought started long before El Nino cut in at one time earlier in the year 100% of NSW was drought declared for the first time ever - since then some of the coastal areas have had some rain.

Sydney's desalination plant was started up a month or so ago because it takes some months for it to start producing.

Two years ago the dams were just about full but now they are at 50%, that rate of decline is unprecedented.

Yet in Queensland after the floods there is still a lot of surface water (and flies), rivers are full, even road verges normally bare soil are green.

A couple of days later I was back on dirt driving to Thargomindah.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	19-05-22 004  Stonehenge to Quilpie.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	9715   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-05-22 003  Stonehenge to Quilpie.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	9716   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-05-22 005  Stonehenge to Quilpie.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	9717   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-05-24 003 Quilpie to Thargomindah.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	9718  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top