Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Hypertension/heart diet?

Listening to the other half snoring peacefully - afternoon nap. He thinks he had a mini-stoke this morning (again) and refused to seek medical help (again). Hope he feels better when he wakes. Left side of his body went numb apparently.

He has a diet book called Dash and read through it, but hates the sound of the recipes as they are mostly chicken or fish with spinach, onions, broccoli, couscous, rice and such. He would just eat meat and gravy daily if he could - no veggies other than corn or potatoes (with gravy). Does not drink beer or alcohol but consumes 10 - 14 cans of Coca-Cola every day and smokes a pack a day. Will not drink milk, water or juice.

No way he'll talk to a doctor about any of this and he won't take well to any suggestions I make so I'm wondering if a low-salt, low-fat diet would do. He gets bored with chicken but it's better than red meat or pork I'm sure. What to do, what to do...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Re: Hypertension/heart diet?

Sorry to hear that Anniej, you have enough to worry about but thats men really, selfish from beginning to end, Sorry boys but it has to be said, they leave there mothers for a younger model so they will be cared for till death.He really needs to cut the coke, I think there are 7 spoons of sugar in a can of coke. Cheer up girl and look after yourself. Anniem
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Annie darlin' you don't have to cut out red meat for your OH. Get yourself a slow cooker (if you haven't already got one) and go find a decent proper butcher in your area. Safari meats - Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Wildebeeste and Zebra are all alternative options to beef and because there's no fat on these, they are a very healthy option. To cook, once defrosted, make a marinade - equal portions of: Balsamic Vinegar, Soy sauce and worcester sauce. Leave meat in marinade for up to 2 hours. When ready to cook, lift out of marinade, toss in plain flour and flash fry with an onion and some garlic for about 4 - 5 mins. Lift out with slotted spoon and place in slow cooker, peel and prepare whatever veg you want to go with this and place in frying pan for a few minutes. Place 1 tsp Bisto powder and an oxo cube into the marinade and stir vigorously until dissolved. Pour over veg in frying pan. Marinade will thicken because of the flour as it boils. When that happens, pour sauce and veg over meat in slow cooker and switch on. Leave for 3 - 4 mhours. Voila!!! a delightful meat casserole that is both nourishing and healthy because there's no fat in the meat.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2011, 11:17 PM

How many cans of Coke a day? If he has a heart problem that will exacerbate it because Coca Cola is a stimulant, as is coffee and chocolate.

There's no need to cut out read meat, as Uncle Joe says, as it isn't the meat that's unhealthy but it rather depends on how it's cooked; but having red meat everyday is not good either. Make sure every scrap of fat is cut off before cooking though. At least, that's what I do.

Incidentally, just think what Coca Cola does to a two-pence piece if you drop one in just a tiny bit! Also, have you ever tried using Coke as a toilet cleaner? It's excellent because of the acidity. It's good for cleaning concrete floors as well, but definitely not good for drinking in that quantity.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Annie darlin' you don't have to cut out red meat for your OH. Get yourself a slow cooker (if you haven't already got one) and go find a decent proper butcher in your area. Safari meats - Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Wildebeeste and Zebra are all alternative options to beef and because there's no fat on these, they are a very healthy option. To cook, once defrosted, make a marinade - equal portions of: Balsamic Vinegar, Soy sauce and worcester sauce. Leave meat in marinade for up to 2 hours. When ready to cook, lift out of marinade, toss in plain flour and flash fry with an onion and some garlic for about 4 - 5 mins. Lift out with slotted spoon and place in slow cooker, peel and prepare whatever veg you want to go with this and place in frying pan for a few minutes. Place 1 tsp Bisto powder and an oxo cube into the marinade and stir vigorously until dissolved. Pour over veg in frying pan. Marinade will thicken because of the flour as it boils. When that happens, pour sauce and veg over meat in slow cooker and switch on. Leave for 3 - 4 mhours. Voila!!! a delightful meat casserole that is both nourishing and healthy because there's no fat in the meat.
I printed this recipe out & cooked it for tea tonight
Although I didn't use "Safari Meat" I used Braising Steak. It turned out delicious. Really tasty sauce.
Thanks Uncle Joe
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 08:17 PM

You're very welcome Lynne darlin'. Seriously its even better with 'safari meat' as there's no fat in the meat whatsoever - just solid meat chunks and therefore very healthy.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I'll have to look around for some Safari Meats. There's not many Zebra's round here though
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-12-2011, 08:40 PM

Lynne darlin' - think Ostrich - how's that for a drum stick???
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2011, 08:42 PM

What a worry and a frustration for you.
All that coke and smokes are a lot worse than the food he is eating.
If you can't get it through his thick skull that he needs to face making some changes then I don't know what you can do.
The real effort has got to come from him.
Good Luck Annie and I hope things change for the better.
Lynne55
Lancs.

03-12-2011, 08:43 PM

An Ostrich wont fit in my oven - otherwise I would have got one for Christmas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top