Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I hope you dried out well Solo, we don’t want you coming down with a bug, there’s a nasty one doing the rounds here at the moment,
I find the good thing about Winter is you can always look forward to the Summer, and when that comes you can look forward to the next Summer, provided we live that long.

"Jem, try contacting him in the Morning"

Sorry Spitty, I don’t “do” mornings since I retired, especially cold wet Winter ones.

Old folks who can get up at 7am and start arguing politics must be tough individuals, and good luck to them, but they wear out quicker.

I have done my own research on this using my natural Irish logic and my findings are that if an older person conserves all the moveable parts of the body as best one can, one will last longer, but it’s important to keep them well oiled with Guinness or rust will set in, conservation of the parts is vital, how else do you think these old vintage cars are still going?
Take for example a leg, usually one of the first limbs to be banjaxed with the onslaught of old age, (have you seen that ad with that great cricketer Sir Ian Botham hobbling about with gammy legs, and he’s only 64, he wore ‘em out you see).
Now from the very first leg movement of a new born baby the leg is allotted a certain amount of smooth motions, we’ll give it a figure of 1 million for mathematical purposes, and as we all know everything eventually wears out, hence knackerization of the limbs and other bits, we won’t go into the inner bits at present as it gets too complicated.
When one reaches retirement age say 65, one would have used up about 800,000 of those movements leaving a mere 200,000 left, and those left would be operated by faulty worn joints and bones, no longer the sturdy stuff of youth and manhood. I makes perfect sense to me to conserve these precious movements until it’s absolutely necessary to use them, for instance, heading out to the bookies or the local, leisurely Summer strolls with the dog, dancing with old ladies on a Saturday night, important stuff like that, so why not lie on in bed and last longer?
I rest my case yer honour.

We’ll be off tonight to the pubs old folks annual party, buckshee everything, and taxis home for those who can’t walk home from whatever reasons. All this is paid for by the publican and all the young customers who organise raffles throughout the year, great young people we have today.

Just Imagine if it was a Saturday night at the Christmas party and you ain’t got no body to dance with. See yiz tomorrow if i can see the screen.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:14 AM

You do so hope that all is well with RJ and a few of his well placed words will leisurely drop onto scribbles. Whatever the circumstances he is thought of often and wished well be it AM or PM

There are good folk about and what better way to give back some thanks for your years patronage and company. Thats a good publican with a bit of sense there and youngsters with compassion. Trust the evening went down well and lets be honest here.... if you have to do a bit of squinting at the screen it shows a grand night was had by all...which is as it should be.

Now speaking of wobbly walking....................

I see the logic behind allotted times for joints theory but what if there were none and joints all wore out at seperate times. Now that would be a sight to behold and test the love of any sane person wouldn't it.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 10:22 PM

I’m glad to report a terrific night was had by all the old folks last night, and to cap it all I won a bottle of my favourite Sandeman port.

We even had an “incident”, I never use their real names as they would be embarrassed if by any chance they saw this, anyway old Johnny Kelly’s ex wife turned up without an invitation and barged her way to where Johnny was sitting with his new younger wife of 6 months, the look on his face was priceless, ex Mrs Kelly is a very large woman and after she poured his full pint of cold larger over his completely bald head and called him a “dirty old man” she upended the table and then calmly walked out. He just stood there agog like a toffee apple with the sticky golden beer rolling down his head.
We were sitting at the table beside his, God forgive me but I thought if was hilarious, you wouldn’t see it in a Laurel and Hardy film. Phyllis kept kicking me under the table to stop laughing but I just couldn’t stop, best laugh I had in ages.

You are right Solo, as well as earning respect from your customers it’s good business policy to treat your regular customers well and it pays off in the long run, all these older customers have extended families and they become regular customers eventually, hold all the family celebrations in the same pub, like funerals, birthdays, christenings etc., everyone’s a winner. Indeed I remember the days when some publicans covered the funeral expenses of good uninsured customers, deeds like that are never forgotten by the families.

I had a class “A” hangover this morning so I lay in until 12,30pm, also the legs needed to rejuvenate, but they served me well last night, God bless ‘em.

Here’s a rare recording of Peter Sellers, everything is going fine until the row breaks out.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

22-12-2019, 10:24 PM

I won’t be back here till after Christmas so I’ll take this opportunity to thank you both Solo and Spitty, and wish you and yours a very happy Christmas, thanks again for your great company, the wonderful posts and the many laughs.
Jimmy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I won’t be back here till after Christmas so I’ll take this opportunity to thank you both Solo and Spitty, and wish you and yours a very happy Christmas, thanks again for your great company, the wonderful posts and the many laughs.
Jimmy.
Thanks Jem, I would gladly forgo my Christmas to join you on your pilgrimage to repatriate RJ.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Thank you Jem for your kind words and good wishes. Wishing you, Phyllis and family the happiest Christmas.

spitty I echo your thoughts on RJ but as I have the sniffles a pilgrimages will have to wait. Hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 04:16 PM

Solo and Jem (Ladies first), "and then there were three" scribblers, merry Christmas and a low carbon (and Methane) new year.

Just been on the spreadsheets as it's nearly the end of the Gregorian year (not HMRCs), so far this year I have consumed 1071 pints of beer, 42 bottles of Scotch, took 9,674,700 paces, driven 20411 miles (10270 private and 10141 business), and spent £3076.32 on fuel.

Bring on 2020.
solo
UK

24-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Solo and Jem (Ladies first), "and then there were three" scribblers, merry Christmas and a low carbon (and Methane) new year.

Just been on the spreadsheets as it's nearly the end of the Gregorian year (not HMRCs), so far this year I have consumed 1071 pints of beer, 42 bottles of Scotch, took 9,674,700 paces, driven 20411 miles (10270 private and 10141 business), and spent £3076.32 on fuel.

Bring on 2020.
Thanks spitty...and a note for the spreadsheets.. must try harder next year

pssssst..it's not about how many we are.. it's about the quality of the few
solo
UK

24-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Thinking back to some Christmases spent in other countries...all with long standing customs. In Iceland children await not just Santa Claus....but 13 trolls known as the 'Yule Lads' who come to town in the two weeks before Christmas.

These trolls who are brothers were mischievous and stories of them were used to torment children which of course has now had to be altered to be more acceptable.

Today children enjoy favours from the 'Yule Lads' for the 13 days leading to Christmas, which Icelanders celebrate on the 24th of December. That means 13 little extra surprises for Christmas....and not a superstore in sight. Sometimes the simplest things bring the most pleasure

(The song in the video clip was originally Swedens entry to Eurovision Song Contest in 1996 performed by One More Time...music by Peter Grönwall (son of Benny Andersson, who composed all music for ABBA)

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2019, 10:30 AM

A very Happy Christmas to the Three Wise Scribblers.

I look in here every day and am very impressed by your jolly and intelligent wittering . Always brings a smile to my face

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top