Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Re: Not used for a couple of weeks = Flat Battery

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Job done .....

Did he advise on running the engine once a week .....
No, in fact he wasn't very talkative at all, but I suppose he's busy enough

But I'll do that anyway, and try to make it a longer trip than just to the supermarket
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
No, in fact he wasn't very talkative at all, but I suppose he's busy enough

But I'll do that anyway, and try to make it a longer trip than just to the supermarket
Since most of us are not using our cars very much, Which? Magazine have offered some advice:

Coronavirus: how to maintain your car during lockdown

Cars are designed to be driven – find out how to keep yours in good condition while it’s not in use, or if you need to drive but your MOT is postponed
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04...ring-lockdown/

It’s important to keep your battery maintained. Even when the car’s switched off, electrical items running in the background (such as security devices) can drain the battery.
  • If your car is privately parked, you may want to invest in a mains-powered battery maintainer or trickle charger, which will keep it in tip-top condition.
  • If you can’t realistically run a lead to your car, simply start it up once a week and let it run for around 15 minutes. Not only will this give the battery time to increase its charge, but will also circulate oil and fuel around the engine, which can prevent engine flooding in petrol cars.
  • While the car is running, turn the air conditioning on. This will help maintain the seals in the air conditioning system and reduce the chance of mould developing in your car’s air circulation system.
  • Avoid turning your car on and off again in quick succession. The starter motor requires battery power each time, which won’t be replenished unless the battery is given time to charge.

Never leave your car unattended when it’s switched on.
There's a section on brakes, too.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 05:38 PM

If you run the air on turn the heating to full as well, it will prevent bacteria build up in the system particularly the vents
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not too sure now as it was decades ago, and I do mean a lot of decades but I think it was a Honda or a Morris 1300 (that shows how long ago!) where every gear change could be felt with quite a jolt.

The car that dispelled those first and only impressions was a VW Golf, it changed gear so smoothly it was a nice drive. I still don't like automatics though, they always feel as if I am out of control. Nice on a busy town drive though.
Ah! I love the Automatic.

Especially those with cruise control.

You can get on the M4 and put your feet on the dashboard and read your paper as you ride along.

(Only joking!)

First came across Automatics in the USA where many wonder why anyone bothers with manual gearboxes.

David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Does it charge the battery if you just leave it ticking over same as when you're defrosting icy windows? If so, how long does it need to run for?
You need to take car for a 20 minute run circa 50mph.
I usually do this by visiting the supermarket in the next town.
Not my local one, two miles away,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 05:22 AM

I haven't had a problem with my battery even though my car is not being used anything like as much as it was but I decided to spend some of the government's stimulus money on a new battery charger that can be permanently attached to the car while the latter is not being used. This particular charger was only $60 (£30) so not a big expense.

It is only able to charge at 1.5 amps but that is more than enough to just keep a battery topped up - I have another older charger that can be used to put a fair old charge into the battery in an emergency. This charger when connected also charges the auxiliary battery (for my fridge etc) via the DC - DC charger.

It came with the usual croc clips but I used a fused connection permanently fixed to the battery terminals.

Quite happy with that. Thank you ScoMo.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200521 006 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	12704   Click image for larger version

Name:	200521 001 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	12705   Click image for larger version

Name:	200521 002 Battery Charger.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12706  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 03:08 PM

My six-year-old battery failed today - .....

The AA attended within 15 minutes but their attempts to charge the battery were futile - their tests confirmed that it was deceased ....

Worse - the battery was non-standard so the attending mechanic had to requisition a Bosch replacement from a colleague ..... for £269 !!!!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
My six-year-old battery failed today - .....

The AA attended within 15 minutes but their attempts to charge the battery were futile - their tests confirmed that it was deceased ....

Worse - the battery was non-standard so the attending mechanic had to requisition a Bosch replacement from a colleague ..... for £269 !!!!!
Is your car one of those stop/start models Omah?

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top