Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 05:44 PM

Win 10 2004 update.

After reading about all the pit-falls pertaining to this update, I decided to get it done. I made damned sure first that my previous problems with Outlook had been addressed and resolved. They had. Forever cautious, I made a disk-image copy of my C: drive just in case of problems.

After taking an age to download the update, I gave the PC permission to install it which was going to be a long time, so I beggared off and let the computer get on with it. Happy to report all is well, none of my privacy settings had been reset to defaults and to me, the most important part, MS Office, is behaving as it should - didn't fancy rebuilding my Access database again (had a bugger of a time transferring it and all the data to my new PC).

If owt goes tits up, I'll let you know.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2020, 11:15 AM

Re: Win 10 2004 update.

You haven't needed to post again yet, so hopefully all has stayed OK and will continue to do so.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 08:45 PM

I have been avoiding Windows Updates for quite some time now. I've had all the usual prompts to update, but because I have told them I am on a metered connection (I lied) from 8am to 2am, I have been free from updates ever since.

Over the last few days, however, I have received - daily - a message suggesting that I "cross this one of our list". It always arrives at around 8.30 pm.

It gives three options: to update now, to set a time to update, and to leave it until tomorrow.

When the message appears, it cannot be ignored and it is impossible to do anything on the computer until it has gone!

For three days now, therefore, I have clicked "leave it until tomorrow".
It disappears, and I can then continue with what I'm doing.

I'm just wondering what form their next assailment will take!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 11:36 PM

My computers updated with no problems. I think these "problems" actually affect a very computers users compared to the total number of WIN10 users.
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 03:22 PM

I checked and this laptop is on 2004 so I must have let it update but had no problems as I can't even remember running it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2020, 10:25 PM

Here's the thing that keeps coming up every evening.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	13627  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-09-2020, 02:57 PM

After enduring constant nagging for a couple of months now, just lately several times a day, I finally decided to agree to downloading Windows 10 update.

This took the best part of two hours but, thankfully, most of my settings and desktop, seem to have been untouched... with one exception (so far!):

I noticed that the nasty, spiteful buggers have completely removed my 'Windows 7 Games for Windows 10' installation! Clearly, they don't like me having something that has been 'improved' by the W10 version of their games!
Refusing to be dictated to, I have downloaded the same content again.

Don't they realise that by doing things like this they do nothing more than turn people like me against them? This is one of the reasons why I have always resisted their W10 Updates. I don't need them and I don't want them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:11 PM

Well, a month on from my original post and have to report that I haven't had any problems with the 2004 update. The Net Framework has been updated since the main update and nor problems with that either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 10:03 PM

I bought this laptop last year so only just over one year old but I'm now receiving a notice telling me that my version of windows 10 is out of date and recommending that I update to the latest version.

Surely my original version wouldn't be the 2004 one that you are all posting about?

And what should I expect if I allow this update?

I normally allow all the updates, but this one seems to put some of my files in jeopardy, am I right?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-09-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I bought this laptop last year so only just over one year old but I'm now receiving a notice telling me that my version of windows 10 is out of date and recommending that I update to the latest version.

Surely my original version wouldn't be the 2004 one that you are all posting about?

And what should I expect if I allow this update?

I normally allow all the updates, but this one seems to put some of my files in jeopardy, am I right?
I made the mistake of doing so and was denied the use of my computer for about an hour and a half.

At the end of that time, the lovely people at Microsoft had removed my version of 'Windows 7 Games for Windows 10'. I was obliged to search for another download and reinstall it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top