Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 07:42 AM

Cloud Cover

Just as a matter of interest and looking for good ideas do you use any of the cloud services such as Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive?

Personally I have resisted using them for safe storage.

Dropbox I use basically to transfer any photos I take with my phone to my main computer, usually they are on my computer by the time I get home. Dropbox free service has a limit of 8Gb and when I have used all that I transfer all the photos to my NAS and delete them from Dropbox enabling me to start again (this has only happened once in gawd knows how many years).

Google Drive I hardly use, in fact only for shared spreadsheets and templates from my seniors club. I think Google knows enough about me without encouraging them.

One Drive I use to update/sync a couple of password protected spreadsheets on all my computers (ie I can use whichever machine I am near) and most importantly keeping my password database up to date on each machine and my phone (I use Keepass).

All my backup files are kept on two local NAS devices but none the less I don't think I am making the best use of these free services. For example in OneDrive I am using 14Mb of 15Gb and in Google drive 620Mb of 15Gb but this includes the Google Calendar which I do use for all my appointments etc

What clever uses do you put these free services to? Any good ideas?

As a matter of interest does anybody use the "form" facilities on Google Drive or OneDrive?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 10:28 AM

Re: Cloud Cover

None of those Bruce......Too invasive.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Just as a matter of interest and looking for good ideas do you use any of the cloud services such as Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive?

Personally I have resisted using them for safe storage.

Dropbox I use basically to transfer any photos I take with my phone to my main computer, usually they are on my computer by the time I get home. Dropbox free service has a limit of 8Gb and when I have used all that I transfer all the photos to my NAS and delete them from Dropbox enabling me to start again (this has only happened once in gawd knows how many years).

Google Drive I hardly use, in fact only for shared spreadsheets and templates from my seniors club. I think Google knows enough about me without encouraging them.

One Drive I use to update/sync a couple of password protected spreadsheets on all my computers (ie I can use whichever machine I am near) and most importantly keeping my password database up to date on each machine and my phone (I use Keepass).

All my backup files are kept on two local NAS devices but none the less I don't think I am making the best use of these free services. For example in OneDrive I am using 14Mb of 15Gb and in Google drive 620Mb of 15Gb but this includes the Google Calendar which I do use for all my appointments etc

What clever uses do you put these free services to? Any good ideas?

As a matter of interest does anybody use the "form" facilities on Google Drive or OneDrive?
Oh sorry Brucy, l thought it was about the weather?!?!

Donkeyman! 👍😇😇👍
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
None of those Bruce......Too invasive.....
I can sympathise with that but there must be a median route where you benefit from the free service without giving too much away. Not that our age group is their target market so I doubt they have much interest in us (fact of life).
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 08:17 AM

I use Google Photos, it's cloud backup, plus a good way of staring and linking, plus my photos are better organised up there than they are on my pc. I don't use "back up and sync", I just upload the select to appropriate albums I've created.

I edit photos on my pc ... straighten, crop, sharpen, colour balance etc. then upload to Google Photos and most of the time they can be further improved by applying one on their special effects.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top