Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 02:11 PM

Re: best internet provider

We're with Plusnet and the great thing about them is whenever there is a problem you get to speak to somebody from God's Own Country instead of India or wherever, so you can actually understand what they are saying and vice versa! Unlike BT where they also make it as difficult as possible to actually find a number to speak to someone! I know Plusnet is tied up with BT which makes it even worse!
When Mr Glanny was working from home we had a BT business account, and 3 lines (one was a fax) and no end of problems with BT. There was often a lot of shouting to be heard from MrG's office when he eventually got to speak to someone
I would definitely rate Plusnet

Anyway, our internet speed is around 5mbps on a good day (but not funny ) I've just run a check, but if it is realllly slow ie about 2 which it often is, when we ring up they tweak it and it runs slightly faster. Our problem is we are out in the sticks and our exchange is in a narrow corridor stretching across country to the outskirts of Belfast and we are at the country end of it so furthest away from the exchange. Our road is less than a mile long but there are actually three different exchanges on it! We are in the middle. One end of the road gets 49mbps and the other gets 36. Sod's law! No way will we get fibre or superfast in the near future
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 02:58 PM

When we lived in Hertford we had VirginMedia for TV, phone and b/band. Good service except we lost the phone line twice because of problems at the junction box down the road. When we moved to Worcester (a VM-free zone) we went with Sky - never again thanks. I've lost count of the number of times I've called them about slow b/band speeds (often faster to use dial up!) but, of late, it seems it's as fast as it's ever going to be using copper wires (no fibre available for us YET!). I've just checked - 5.8MB/s download, 0.9 upload. I'm hoping it will be least 2x this where we are moving to in Cannock.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Which Magazine Top 3:

Zen Internet 84%
Utility Warehouse 70%
Plusnet 65%

I am with Zen .....
I have been with Zen since they started
Excellent service and phone line to

Will never change.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
We're with Plusnet and the great thing about them is whenever there is a problem you get to speak to somebody from God's Own Country instead of India or wherever, so you can actually understand what they are saying and vice versa! Unlike BT where they also make it as difficult as possible to actually find a number to speak to someone! I know Plusnet is tied up with BT which makes it even worse!
When Mr Glanny was working from home we had a BT business account, and 3 lines (one was a fax) and no end of problems with BT. There was often a lot of shouting to be heard from MrG's office when he eventually got to speak to someone
I would definitely rate Plusnet
Thank you. It's nice to know that people in Northern Ireland are also aware of God's County!

Yes, I know that PlusNet is based in Yorkshire. Not that that would particularly help me, I'm afraid.

I have just, coincidentally, received a very welcome message from the very helpful people at
Broadband.co.uk
to whom I sent a request for advice some days ago.

It had not occurred to me that my security cameras do not rely so much on the download speed of around 10Mb offered by non-fibre internet providers, but actually on the roughly 1Mb upload speed they provide which, I'm informed, is inadequate compared to the 2Mb speed the cameras need to send recordings to the internet.

So if I want to continue to use my security cameras, I'm stuck with VM.

The other option, which again Broadband.co.uk advised me of, is the 4G Home Router package offered by Three and other mobile phone service providers, which offer higher speeds.

I am with Three already for my mobile phone, but I have heard that they are rather unreliable regarding their Home Router service.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 04:17 PM

JBR, have you thought about using Cat 7 cabling instead of wireless? Would that be any quicker to your router?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
JBR, have you thought about using Cat 7 cabling instead of wireless? Would that be any quicker to your router?
Oh, the VM router is more than adequate regarding download and upload speed, even using ethernet.

The problem is that VM are not only causing occasional outages, but also that their customer service is crap.

For now, I can live with VM as, like I said earlier, the outages are less frequent and for much shorter duration... for now.

Also, next year, they're going to put the charge up from £25 a month to £38 a month, so I'll have to think about it again then.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I am with Talk Talk which is pretty good when all is going well but if you get a problem, you end up making long calls to India. Their customer service operators are very polite but sometimes difficult to understand and if you go 'off script' you have had it. I was without internet for almost five weeks and knew exactly what the problem was (with BT) but had to go through the whole rigmarole of the script before arriving at what I knew.

Can I recommend Talk Talk? Undecided really but then I reckon they are all a pile of poo when it comes down to it.
I have Talktalk also, set up by my late OH, several years ago & I carried on with it. I agree with you about the problems if things go wrong.
Have Talktalk for everything, phone, internet & TV. so far it's been good, but I am on my third, or maybe forth, router.
We also have Virginmedia in the area, they took ages digging up & putting in the underground cables for it, in every street, must have cost them a fortune, but some people who switched aren't happy. I get lots of communication from them but ignore it.
Would I recommend Talktalk, like Longdogs I am undecided, it is ok for me.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have Talktalk also, set up by my late OH, several years ago & I carried on with it. I agree with you about the problems if things go wrong.
Have Talktalk for everything, phone, internet & TV. so far it's been good, but I am on my third, or maybe forth, router.
We also have Virginmedia in the area, they took ages digging up & putting in the underground cables for it, in every street, must have cost them a fortune, but some people who switched aren't happy. I get lots of communication from them but ignore it.
Would I recommend Talktalk, like Longdogs I am undecided, it is ok for me.
I have been with Talktalk for a long time, ever since they took over Homeserve and I have had very little trouble. Any problems were easily sorted by using the chat facility on there home page. Never needed to phone India. My last month bill for any time phone calls, phone line and broadband was £34.78. I have a small sim card for a mobile phone which is only used in emergencies for £3 month.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
We're with Plusnet and the great thing about them is whenever there is a problem you get to speak to somebody from God's Own Country instead of India or wherever, so you can actually understand what they are saying and vice versa!
I didn't know the UK used Australian call centres, how lucky you are.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top