Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 11:53 PM

Re: Mains powered smoke alarm

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The one that appears above looks even better. It includes a CO alarm for £20 with 10 life as well.

It might be an easier option just to replace the mains-powered alarm with one of the above. Just a matter of rewiring, which I'm sure I'm capable of.

The other two alarms I've already sent for are battery-only, but have a guaranteed life of 10 years (lithium battery). They're from Safelincs, a fire-service recommended company, so I think I'd trust them. I test them regularly anyway.

Incidentally, Safelincs is the company I got our 'water-mist' (brilliant invention - can even be used on electrical fires) fire extinguisher from.
Where is your smoke alarm situated? If it's in the hallway, an integral CO detector is superfluous so you may add well save your money.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Where is your smoke alarm situated? If it's in the hallway, an integral CO detector is superfluous so you may add well save your money.
Yes it's in the hall way and we already have a CO detector near our wood burner.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 12:51 PM

As well - poxy auto-correct on my phone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 03:12 PM

If your mains-powered detector is in a hallway, you should replace this with an optical type with battery back-up. I only fit AICO smoke alarms - this one in particular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aico-Ei146R...s%2C196&sr=8-6

It is reasonably priced (£23 for ten years is a drop in the ocean) and easy to install. If no interlink, it's a simple live & neutral connection to the inbuilt connector block.[/QUOTE]

If you recommend it, I'd trust you.
However, although you say 'ten years', I can see no mention of a guaranteed 10 year life on the web site. Is it definitely going to last for 10 years (but not the battery of course)?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

12-09-2020, 05:22 PM

If your mains-powered detector is in a hallway, you should replace this with an optical type with battery back-up. I only fit AICO smoke alarms - this one in particular.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aico-Ei146R...s%2C196&sr=8-6

It is reasonably priced (£23 for ten years is a drop in the ocean) and easy to install. If no interlink, it's a simple live & neutral connection to the inbuilt connector block.
However, although you say 'ten years', I can see no mention of a guaranteed 10 year life on the web site. Is it definitely going to last for 10 years (but not the battery of course)?[/QUOTE]

The ten years is the life expectancy - it will have a replace by date on it when you get it. The alarm will chirrup every forty seconds or so when the battery needs changing. All smoke alarms should be replaced after ten years as a matter of course as although it will work while pressing the test button, it's not guaranteed to work in a fire situation because of the build-up of dust over time.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-09-2020, 05:56 PM

However, although you say 'ten years', I can see no mention of a guaranteed 10 year life on the web site. Is it definitely going to last for 10 years (but not the battery of course)?
The ten years is the life expectancy - it will have a replace by date on it when you get it. The alarm will chirrup every forty seconds or so when the battery needs changing. All smoke alarms should be replaced after ten years as a matter of course as although it will work while pressing the test button, it's not guaranteed to work in a fire situation because of the build-up of dust over time.[/QUOTE]

OK. Fair enough.

Actually, the old mains-powered smoke alarm, which is still in place and has been as long as we have been here - 15 years! - seems still to be working, at least in some respects.

The light flashes every minute or so, which I assume indicates it is still working.
I haven't replaced the back-up battery, so in a power cut I'm sure it won't be working.
As you say, it may look as if it's working, but may not work in a real fire situation.

Having said that, when we had a new gas fire put in in the adjacent room a couple of months ago, they did the usual smoke test and the alarm went off! I think that's pretty good for over 15 years old!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-09-2020, 11:20 AM

I have now had a good look at this smoke alarm.
I opened it and found that it has no trace of any mains voltage in it. Neither does it have a back-up battery.

All I can assume is that it is somehow tied in to the house alarm system. I must look closely through the documents.

I'm glad that I didn't go out and buy a replacement mains-powered smoke alarm as that wouldn't replace this directly.

Photos attached.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke alarm 1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	13683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke alarm 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	13684  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

13-09-2020, 12:06 PM

A good job you checked.

That smoke alarm will be fed from your burglar alarm power supply and linked into a pair of terminals programmed to act as a fire zone. In theory, if it does activate, your burglar alarm will also ring but with a different type of alarm sounder - usually pulsed depending on make of alarm panel.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-09-2020, 01:11 PM

A good job you checked.

That smoke alarm will be fed from your burglar alarm power supply and linked into a pair of terminals programmed to act as a fire zone. In theory, if it does activate, your burglar alarm will also ring but with a different type of alarm sounder - usually pulsed depending on make of alarm panel.
We have our alarm checked every year, but the engineer has never mentioned the smoke alarm.

Am I right in assuming that, like all smoke alarms, the sensor would deteriorate over time?

If so, I could ask them how much they'd charge to replace it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2020, 04:03 PM

We have our alarm checked every year, but the engineer has never mentioned the smoke alarm.

Am I right in assuming that, like all smoke alarms, the sensor would deteriorate over time?

If so, I could ask them how much they'd charge to replace it.
Having made further enquiries, the old smoke alarm model we presently have, and its more recent direct equivalent, have now both been discontinued.

The replacement offered now by the manufacturers, Aico, requires a 9V battery for back-up. As our intruder alarm already has a back-up battery in case of mains failure, I see no need for this.

The other thing is that if I am obliged to replace the 9V battery every year or so, why bother with an intruder alarm-powered smoke alarm anyway.

Consequently, I've sent for a lithium battery-powered smoke alarm with a 10 year guarantee. If the battery fails before then, I'll claim a replacement!

I'll remove the old one and, as the existing cables are no danger, being 12V, I'll leave them disconnected above the new smoke alarm.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top