Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Charles 2nd gave our fish away !!!

How desperate can you get??
According to the grauniad the belgium ambassador has dug up
an old document from the 16th century where our generous king
granted 70 flemish fishermen eternal rights to fish in englands
waters in return for a few nights kip?
What a joke!!

Donkeyman! 👍😂😂👍
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 10:52 PM

Re: Charles 2nd gave our fish away !!!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
How desperate can you get??
According to the grauniad the belgium ambassador has dug up
an old document from the 16th century where our generous king
granted 70 flemish fishermen eternal rights to fish in englands
waters in return for a few nights kip?
What a joke!!

Donkeyman! 👍😂😂👍
In those days your word was your bond. "Luckily" the UK has come a long way since then. Isn't donks?
But tell me. The magna carta is also a very ancient document. But multitudes swear by it!

By the way, this news item is from 2017! https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/belgium-...h-waters-77551
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Note that the document stated Flemish fishermen! Belgium, as a country, didn't exist until 4th October 1830. I know the Flemish are part of Belgium but, I would like to see the BELGIANS try to see this through the courts. (This is just like Argentina claiming the Falkland Is belong to them but Argentina didn't even exist as an independent country when we took control of the islands.) In any case, do the Flemish have 70 boats of the size used back in 1666? And how many fish did they catch in those days?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Hi

70 Flemish fishermen are no problem at all.

I think we should agree to it just to wind Macron up,
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Note that the document stated Flemish fishermen! Belgium, as a country, didn't exist until 4th October 1830. I know the Flemish are part of Belgium but, I would like to see the BELGIANS try to see this through the courts. (This is just like Argentina claiming the Falkland Is belong to them but Argentina didn't even exist as an independent country when we took control of the islands.) In any case, do the Flemish have 50 boats of the size used back in 1666? And how many fish did they catch in those days?
The right to fish was priviledged to a specific city, still existing.
Those 50 fishermen from zeebrugge (bruges) presently own 87 ships and bring in half of belgiums annual catch. The charter states right to fish, eternally. No amount is mentioned.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The right to fish was priviledged to a specific city, still existing.
Those 50 fishermen from zeebrugge (bruges) presently own 87 ships and bring in half of belgiums annual catch. The charter states right to fish, eternally. No amount is mentioned.
Hi

It relates to fishermen, not boats.

Now your main protagonist is not currently posting your wind ups are not going to work,
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-10-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It relates to fishermen, not boats.

Now your main protagonist is not currently posting your wind ups are not going to work,
That's why I stated 50 fishermen having the right to fish. They own 87 boats, and as you correctly read, the number of boats is not relevant or limited to 50.

In theory, if all dutch fishermen sell their boats to those 50 fishers from brugge, they are entitled to fish under the charter.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
That's why I stated 50 fishermen having the right to fish. They own 87 boats, and as you correctly read, the number of boats is not relevant or limited to 50.

In theory, if all dutch fishermen sell their boats to those 50 fishers from brugge, they are entitled to fish under the charter.
Hi

Nope.

It relates to 50 Belgian Fishermen, not boats.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 04:15 PM

Here's a direct quote from the story in today's D Express on line: "And in the case of a no deal scenario, the government of Flanders plans to fall back on a treaty issued by England's King Charles II in 1666 that grants 50 fishermen from the Flemish city of Bruges "eternal access" to British waters."*

Here's the article in full: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...666-treaty-spt

And if anyone can read Flemish , attached is the document that's causing a stir.

* Now, I would like to see this tested in court to see if the fishermen from 1666 were those granted "eternal access" and that access ended with their demise or not. For me it all comes down to the legal meaning of the word "eternal".

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	document.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	13875  
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-10-2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Here's a direct quote from the story in today's D Express on line: "And in the case of a no deal scenario, the government of Flanders plans to fall back on a treaty issued by England's King Charles II in 1666 that grants 50 fishermen from the Flemish city of Bruges "eternal access" to British waters."*

Here's the article in full: https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...666-treaty-spt

And if anyone can read Flemish , attached is the document that's causing a stir.

* Now, I would like to see this tested in court to see if the fishermen from 1666 were those granted "eternal access" and that access ended with their demise or not. For me it all comes down to the legal meaning of the word "eternal".
Hi

It is simply not important.

It relates to 50 Flemish fishermen, not 50 boats or crew.

It will have no effect at all on our fish stocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top