Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:02 AM

Re: Car Battery Charging at Idle

I don't have a posh digital multi digital meter like that only a cheapy one made by a company called Ring

not going to do a video in an enclosed garage at midnight

all it does is show current battery resting voltage (as shown) - alternater voltage around 14.5 v and engine running voltage, but it does what I got it for
If the alternator is nackered then the voltage would not rise or the drive belt is slipping or broken stopping the higher charge going inti the battery

My old multirange meter with a needle on a dial face I gave away becuse it needed attention but that wasn't digital
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 12:22 AM

Re: Car Battery Charging at Idle

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I don't have a posh digital multi digital meter like that only a cheapy one made by a company called Ring

all it does is show current battery resting voltage (as shown) - alternater voltage around 14.5 v and engine running voltage, but it does what I got it for
That's all you need. The one in my video is just a cheap one too I think it cost about $26 many years ago though I have an even cheaper one I keep in the car which was $9.95 but more than adequate for most problems you might encounter on the road.

I also have an auto ranging digital meter which is handy but even that one was only about $60. The only thing I like in a meter is that the Amps range requires you to move the lead to a different socket because it is too easy to apply a short circuit to something if that is not the case.

Actually I still have my old AVO 8 but that is a bit bulky, these cheap multimeters are good enough for any home purpose.

BTW that voltage means that your battery is only about 70% charged, perhaps its time for the old CTEK?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top