Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:18 AM

Falconry Shows... A Good Or A Bad Thing?

Yesterday, l went to Warwick Castle and had a wonderful day.

On arrival, l saw that the Falconry Show (The Falconer’s Quest) was about to begin. As my son and brother in law were very interested in falconry, my son had an owl when he was teenager and my brother in law had an American Red Tail, a buzzard and owls, l was very excited to watch the show.
It was set idyllically on the banks of the river Avon and narrated, explaining how the birds first came to Warwick Castle in 1356.

I was not disappointed, it was spectacular and mesmerising to see those birds in flight. Most of their faces were quite ugly with massive fat beaks but their bodies, with some of them having a wing span of 10 feet, were glorious to look at and watch in flight.
I saw various Eagles, a Condor, various owls, a perigrine falcon plus many others.

Yes l did enjoy the show but it did make me wonder, if some people would see this as a form of cruelty?

What do you think? Or do you enjoy this sort of show?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Re: Falconry Shows... A Good Or A Bad Thing?

Lucky you - I love Warwick Castle.

In two minds about Falconry Shows. On the one hand it does seem a little unkind to keep such wonderful birds in cages - but - as long as they are still able to fly free regularly and are properly cared for perhaps it is not so bad.

On the other hand - it may be the only opportunity we have to see these beautiful creatures.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:40 AM

I feel the same Tabbs
I love the show though the best one I have ever seen was at Taronga Zoo Sydney Australia .
It’s was amazing and it’s setting - overlooking Sydney Harbour spectacularl.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Lucky you - I love Warwick Castle.

In two minds about Falconry Shows. On the one hand it does seem a little unkind to keep such wonderful birds in cages - but - as long as they are still able to fly free regularly and are properly cared for perhaps it is not so bad.

On the other hand - it may be the only opportunity we have to see these beautiful creatures.
ST, l had a spare ticket you could have had, as my friend was unable to go with his swollen eye. I gave it to a family in the queue and they were thrilled as tickets are £26 for adults and £22 for children.

Yes, you’re right about the opportunity to see these birds that we would probably, never have seen ever.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-09-2020, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I feel the same Tabbs
I love the show though the best one I have ever seen was at Taronga Zoo Sydney Australia .
It’s was amazing and it’s setting - overlooking Sydney Harbour spectacularl.

Muddy, I bet it was! I just wanted the show yesterday, to go on forever, it was so good.
I must ask my son if he ever went to see the one you saw, when he lived in Sydney?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 08:50 AM

I would like to go to Warwick Castle it’s sounds lovely .
In fact at this point in time I would like to go anywhere .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-09-2020, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I would like to go to Warwick Castle it’s sounds lovely .
In fact at this point in time I would like to go anywhere .
Muddy, It was fairly quiet there, yesterday. The sun was out, the children back at school and hardly any tourists.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Raptors are beautiful birds but to be honest, I do not like to see them tethered in captivity.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Raptors are beautiful birds but to be honest, I do not like to see them tethered in captivity.
Nor me Mags. If we could fly would we want to be in a cage or tethered? It must be wonderful to soar in the sky wherever you like.
Why do we think it's ok to keep any bird in captivity?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:15 AM

view from top of Warwick castle taken with my first digital 2mp kodak camera in 2002

the Mound first fortified in 1068 with a wooden stockade replaced with a stone keep in 1260

I took loads of photos of the Castle back then

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top