Join for free
Page 6 of 51 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Do I have this right? Over population is caused by those of child bearing age and are the same People who in the Western world are the planets biggest consumers of energy, goods and food, the very things that are responsible for global warming....yet..us old buggers are getting the blame for it?
Do I have that right?
No not quite.
I am not blaming the responsible people of child-bearing age.
Also, I dispute the cause of global warming that you give.
I don't think that we old buggers are responsible for either 'global warming' or over-population.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No not quite.
I am not blaming the responsible people of child-bearing age.
Also, I dispute the cause of global warming that you give.
I don't think that we old buggers are responsible for either 'global warming' or over-population.
Thanks for that JBR, I was getting the impression from at least one Extinction Rebellion poster on herethat I was personally responsible for global warming, over population, icecap melting, Brexit and Covid19
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 03:38 PM

Thanks for that JBR, I was getting the impression from at least one Extinction Rebellion poster on here that I was personally responsible for global warming, over population, icecap melting, Brexit and Covid19
No problem. There are very few people, if any, who I detest more than Extinction Rebellion.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 04:02 PM

We are all responsible for our planets current problems! As the populations increased & the elderley lived longer the amount of fossil fuels we use has dramatically increased to keep us all mobile , warm & clean.

Whether we accept that global warming is the cause, or not, we cannot deny that there are enormous changes to our temperatures, Ice is melting faster than we have ever seen & temperatures are getting higher
David Attenborough has been trying to tell us that cutting too many trees is making the situation worse.... and we are only doing that so some humans can make more money!
Every lifeform on the planet is dependent on many other lifeforms, so the more species that become extinct, the harder it will be for the life forms that need them...& humans will be affected.

I have no children so have no worries because I will probably be dead before it happens & I will leave no offspring to worry about.
On the other hand, this planet will cease to be the beautiful place it is & unable to offer food & shelter to the many species that live here.
I believe that some species may be able to survive, but considerably more will become extinct. It maybe too late to save mammals, such as humans, but my concern is how much they will suffer before they become extinct. Surely anything we can do to make things easier for all lifeforms must be worth it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Thanks for that JBR, I was getting the impression from at least one Extinction Rebellion poster on herethat I was personally responsible for global warming, over population, icecap melting, Brexit and Covid19
Yes you and the rest of us humans on the planet barring some small Brazilian tribes ARE responsible for global warming and climate change .
You may think it’s a big joke but your grandchildren won’t be laughing .
Since the industrial revolution the amount of greenhouse gases in the air ie carbon dioxide and methane has increased by something like 140%.
Humans have destroyed and are destroying huge ares of rainforest the ‘lungs’ of the world .
Added to the widespread use of fossil fuels and their emissions all spell disaster .
For those of you who were messing about in science class pay attention.
Trees and plants exclude oxygen and take up carbon dioxide .
If we destroy huge tracts of forest and make them into cattle ranches ( to provide meat for our ever increasing meat eating populations ) we compound the problem . Less oxygen + more carbon dioxide and more methane .
These don’t just float off into outer space they hang in the atmosphere preventing heat escaping from the earth .ie the ‘greenhouse ‘ effect.
There are major climatic changes going on at this time deserts are dryer floods are more castrophic .
Ther old chestnut the earth has always gone through changes does not wash .
There has never been change like this before .
We the human population of the planet earth are destroying our own environment .

Please no silly name calling this is a serious topic .
That sort of thing is ok for the intellectually challenged in year 2 but is pathetic in a mature adult .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-09-2020, 04:22 PM

I look at it this way.
If some people feel the need to walk about in sackcloth and ashes to make themselves feel better, that is their right and I have no argument with them.

My personal opinion - and last time I looked, we are all permitted an opinion - is that 'global warming' would happen with or without people driving gas-guzzling four-wheel drive monster vehicles.

I mentioned earlier that the world has warmed up before now following an 'ice age' when this country (and others) was mostly covered in solid ice. If it hadn't warmed up then, we wouldn't be here now.

I'll ask the question again. What caused the rapid warming following that 'ice age'? Was it due to the world's population driving motor vehicles? Was it due to everyone having efficient central heating? Was it due to a very early 'industrial revolution'? Was it due to people at all?

The earth goes through climate changes all the time and will continue to do so, even if we were all somehow persuaded to go back to travelling on horses and carts. It has become a very popular trendy idea that we must all stop doing what we have been doing for two hundred years or more in the hope that the earth will begin to cool down again and bigger ice fields will develop in the polar regions.

All I can say is that even if people continue to do what Extinction Rebellion and Greta the Gremlin dictate we must do, in a few hundred years they will be rather disappointed to discover that they have actually made no difference to a natural phenomenon.

Just my opinion, of course.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
We are all responsible for our planets current problems! As the populations increased & the elderley lived longer the amount of fossil fuels we use has dramatically increased to keep us all mobile , warm & clean.

Whether we accept that global warming is the cause, or not, we cannot deny that there are enormous changes to our temperatures, Ice is melting faster than we have ever seen & temperatures are getting higher
David Attenborough has been trying to tell us that cutting too many trees is making the situation worse.... and we are only doing that so some humans can make more money!
Every lifeform on the planet is dependent on many other lifeforms, so the more species that become extinct, the harder it will be for the life forms that need them...& humans will be affected.

I have no children so have no worries because I will probably be dead before it happens & I will leave no offspring to worry about.
On the other hand, this planet will cease to be the beautiful place it is & unable to offer food & shelter to the many species that live here.
I believe that some species may be able to survive, but considerably more will become extinct. It maybe too late to save mammals, such as humans, but my concern is how much they will suffer before they become extinct. Surely anything we can do to make things easier for all lifeforms must be worth it!
Well said, Twink.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes you and the rest of us humans on the planet barring some small Brazilian tribes ARE responsible for global warming and climate change .
You may think it’s a big joke but your grandchildren won’t be laughing .
Since the industrial revolution the amount of greenhouse gases in the air ie carbon dioxide and methane has increased by something like 140%.
Humans have destroyed and are destroying huge ares of rainforest the ‘lungs’ of the world .
Added to the widespread use of fossil fuels and their emissions all spell disaster .
For those of you who were messing about in science class pay attention.
Trees and plants exclude oxygen and take up carbon dioxide .
If we destroy huge tracts of forest and make them into cattle ranches ( to provide meat for our ever increasing meat eating populations ) we compound the problem . Less oxygen + more carbon dioxide and more methane .
These don’t just float off into outer space they hang in the atmosphere preventing heat escaping from the earth .ie the ‘greenhouse ‘ effect.
There are major climatic changes going on at this time deserts are dryer floods are more castrophic .
Ther old chestnut the earth has always gone through changes does not wash .
There has never been change like this before .
We the human population of the planet earth are destroying our own environment .

Please no silly name calling this is a serious topic .
That sort of thing is ok for the intellectually challenged in year 2 but is pathetic in a mature adult .

We are indeed responsible for the fate of our World.
Also well said, Muddy.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 05:27 PM

The Earth has gone through many, many cycles of extinction and regrowth. I see no possible way that could ever change.
Will humans eventually become extinct ? Possible, but I doubt it unless there is a full scale nuclear war.

In any event, I seriously doubt that there is anything we can do about it. Look at it this way. Are we in control of the burning of the rain forests to make way for the planting of crops? No, of course not.

Are we in control of the vast forest fires in the American west, which have this year alone burned over 2 million hectares (the size of all of Wales)? No, of course not. The smoke from those forest fires are soon to circle the globe and thus dramatically increasing the greenhouse gasses.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The Earth has gone through many, many cycles of extinction and regrowth. I see no possible way that could ever change.
Will humans eventually become extinct ? Possible, but I doubt it unless there is a full scale nuclear war.

In any event, I seriously doubt that there is anything we can do about it. Look at it this way. Are we in control of the burning of the rain forests to make way for the planting of crops? No, of course not.

Are we in control of the vast forest fires in the American west, which have this year alone burned over 2 million hectares (the size of all of Wales)? No, of course not. The smoke from those forest fires are soon to circle the globe and thus dramatically increasing the greenhouse gasses.
We personally may not be but the governments of those countries are & it's all to do with greed.
Which is why I have said several times, not that anyone listened, that every government in every country has to get together & form an alliance to stop this destruction, before it's too late for the human race.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I mentioned earlier that the world has warmed up before now following an 'ice age' when this country (and others) was mostly covered in solid ice. If it hadn't warmed up then, we wouldn't be here now.

I'll ask the question again. What caused the rapid warming following that 'ice age'? Was it due to the world's population driving motor vehicles? Was it due to everyone having efficient central heating? Was it due to a very early 'industrial revolution'? Was it due to people at all?
The difference is speed
There was no rapid warm up
The last major ice age was spread over 5000 years .

The world did not freeze and melt over night .
Moreover it wasn’t over all the world at the same time .
Temperatures were regional eg Some temperatures rose by volcanic activity nearby .

The earths temperature has risen dramatically in the last 110 years .
Since records began .
There is little doubt the industrial revolution has played its part .
It’s clear that climate change is happening over ALL the world .
Hence we have raging fires in California and Australia floods elsewhere .
As to animals they are becoming extinct mainly because their habitat has been invaded by humans . The seas are dying we are killing them with plastic and over fishing ..The Great Barrier Reef is the ultimate example .

Greta is a child facing life in an increasing difficult world .
Climate change will affect her generation she has a right to speak

Page 6 of 51 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top