Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2016, 11:21 PM

online photo storage warning

I used to store some, not all, photos on a photo storage site called "Imageshack" which used to have free storage. That has now gone into a paid service so i have scratched that off my computer.

Just goes to show you should never ever rely on photo storage sites alone because they can all do the same if they want to and you have lost all your pictures.

Needless to say I store my photos on a backup seperate hard drive and again on DVD disks. Those "special" I do a hard copy of anyway on my print
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 12:29 AM

Re: online photo storage warning

Somehow, free or not, I never trusted these photo storage sites, I mean, something so personal and precious as our pictures only stay with me LOL

I have a couple of backups for my pictures and I send many out to be printed.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 07:55 AM

I've used Photobucket for years it's still free but lately I did get a seperate hard drive and am in the process of moving them over as I'm reaching my limit on the Site. But it's the video files that are taking up all the space.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 08:01 AM

Best off keeping your photos in a Darkroom.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 09:23 AM

I've been wondering about this.

I have a Samsung 10.4 tablet . I recently bought an sd card thinking I could transfer all my photos and videos across but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it . Anyone got advice I can follow . From what I can see my photos and videos are still in the hard disk

Thankyou
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Susan, I think an SD card is only able to store photos taken with other hardware, like a camera. They're not designed to have media transferred TO them, but rather FROM them.

The best thing to do is buy an external hard drive. They don't have to be expensive. Check on your computer the storage used up by your photos (on Pictures, right click, then left click on properties. This will bring up how many files and space used) to give you an idea what size disk to go for. Usually the bigger the better, because surprisingly photos are space hoggers.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've been wondering about this.

I have a Samsung 10.4 tablet . I recently bought an sd card thinking I could transfer all my photos and videos across but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it . Anyone got advice I can follow . From what I can see my photos and videos are still in the hard disk

Thankyou
Yes you can do it using a file browser which on Samsung is called something like "My Files" you have to find the files then copy them to the new location. The problem is that it is very fiddly to do and you are probably better off looking for a free app that does the job in a more intuitive manner. BUT if you persist My Files will do the job.

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Susan, I think an SD card is only able to store photos taken with other hardware, like a camera. They're not designed to have media transferred TO them, but rather FROM them.
Not true Jazzi, an SD card is just another media storage device and can be used to copy to or from.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 12:22 AM

You have to be careful with these storage services some (not all) have terms which basically mean they can use your photos (or files) for any purpose they chose including selling them to a third party.

Remember if they are 'free' you are not the customer but the product.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 07:47 AM

I didn't use online storage, but did put all my photos on an external hard drive.
Which failed.
I've heard from multiple sources how to get it back, but they have all failed.
So, I have learned - back up your back up!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

Thankyou for advice , I found my files and learned I have to actually hold finger on photo or video and transfer it manually by pulling it into sd card . Brilliant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top