Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 08:46 PM

Re: New camera needed, any recommendations please?

BTW ... I don't remember these throwaway devices you speak of. It sounds like there was no Auto mode because Auto was all there was.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 08:53 PM

My camera I had for my 21st bithday (1966) and still have now 54 years later.

Voitlander Vito CL

it is still like new and even the clockwork timer works. original box and original instruction book, took a good few photos with it
Will never ever part with it as it was my main introduction into photography after the box brownie
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 08:57 PM

I'm really starting to detest Auto mode now. I'm reminded how you can't control anything ... white balance, ISO. metering, exposure compensation, bracketing etc etc, but worst of all you can't choose your focus point! You end up with everything out of focus. grrr
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm really starting to detest Auto mode now. I'm reminded how you can't control anything ... white balance, ISO. metering, exposure compensation, bracketing etc etc, but worst of all you can't choose your focus point! You end up with everything out of focus. grrr
If anything apart from manual mode I switch to Aperture mode for quickness.

When I first got my nikon D70s I thought how the hell do you understand any of it. So i stuck at first to auto mode. Then got adventurous and took each in turn shutter- apeture ISO etc.
Got a fair idea how each interlinks with each other but as you say the amount of control in manual mode does allow some shots not available with presets
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Thanks, I will have a look at it.
It takes me ages to choose something new! My daughter goes nuts if she takes me shopping for anything over £100.
Let us know which camera you decide on, Tess ......
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:16 PM

I think a good lens is one of the most important things to look for in a camera. I was keen on photography many years ago and Canon and Nikon were at the forefront in them days. I notice also that Panasonic Lumix cameras use Leica lenses in some of their models. Leica used to be a top camera then as well if not thee top. I don't know much about the electronic side. As an aside I got a present of a mid range Kodak and it froze with the lens out after a short while.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Hi scot .... Have you heard of the "exposure triangle"?

It's about balancing Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO

To get the perfect exposure.

A mode and S mode (Canon call them: Av and Tv modes), are semi automatic modes.

So yes, take control of the Aperture (A mode) and the shutter speed with be adjusted accordingly. And so too will the ISO.

Not normally anything worth thinking about in daylight conditions, but in low light a small aperture can increase the ISO (grainy dirty results) and slow the camera down (possibly showing camera shake blur).

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks d00d. I am a great admirer of your candid style of photography by the way.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Nothing technical about my post, just plain common sense . If you don't understand then you may well end up getting a camera totally unsuitable.

How are you even going to understand a camera menu I wonder then? what is technical about going into a camera shop and seeing which camera you prefer??????

you would not go into a shop and pick up a bag of apples not knowing if they are cookers or eaters would you
With all due respect Baz, your reply to Tessa appears somewhat patronising. You even stated this :

When I first got my nikon D70s I thought how the hell do you understand any of it. So i stuck at first to auto mode. Then got adventurous and took each in turn shutter- apeture ISO etc.
Tessa might feel exactly the same about the menu's on modern cameras. Have a look at your Nikon menu and tell me how many of the features you use. It would have been nicer to encourage, rather than put someone off.
d00d was correct when he said this : In Auto mode, today's cameras are idiot proof, they have sophisticated computers on board. But they can only go so far, they can only assume the user wants something a bit predictable, ordinary. If you want to get a creative, like shooting into the sun for example, you can get results. But you could also get results with film cameras of 50 or 100 years ago if you could be bothered.
The main concept is, if Tessa wants to 'point and shoot' who are we to discourage her? Naturally, it would be good to have a 'feel' of a new camera, its controls and its capabilities, to see if it's the one for you. However, in these troubled times, I would rather go on other peoples recommendations. Given time, Tessa and others on here, might want to be more creative, as d00ds excellent post explains, to show more of their creative side and use other settings on their camera's. As for not doing courses, sorry, again I have to disagree. Of course one-to-one tuition would be good in the ideal world, however, sometimes, these can be expensive. There are a multitude of YouTube and other online courses that can be obtained free of charge and I have posted them here before to help you https://www.photographycourses.biz/videos
d00d summed it up in a way that only serious amateur 'snappers 'toggers' could and I thank him for it : I'm really starting to detest Auto mode now. I'm reminded how you can't control anything ... white balance, ISO. metering, exposure compensation, bracketing etc etc, but worst of all you can't choose your focus point! You end up with everything out of focus. grrr
Given that, d00d and I like our photography. We also appreciate that others on here like to 'point and shoot' - nothing wrong with that at all. On the contrary, Mups won the latest photo comp with her lovely shot of her dogs. A shot taken, I assume, with a 'basic' camera. Anything and everything is possible with all types of camera.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2020, 11:57 PM

Post number 6 is patronising?????7 we agree to disagree with each other don't we ?
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Post number 6 is patronising?????7 we agree to disagree with each other don't we ?
Post No16 and no, we don't agree to disagree. Google is your friend and you appear to have no concept regarding photography. Tessa will decide the camera that she requires.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top