Join for free
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Pet Insurance

Do you have Pet Insurance for your Cat/Dog?

I have always had Insurance for my cat Coco. I started off with PetPals but found them to expensive, so I cancelled them and went for Animal Friends, I have been paying £75.96 per year but with an excess of £99.00. I have just had a letter in the post from them saying that my renewal is due, but now that Coco is senior - 8 years old, your premium is now £102.00, that's a big difference from last year.

Does anyone have a better one then that?

Sue & Coco xx
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Re: Pet Insurance

Hi Sue,
I have 3 cats but only can afford to insure big Tiger. Mine has gone up in October as he is nearly 11. I have only insured him for two years now.
My cats tend not to be sick until they are older.
Mine is now £159. Its with Tesco. £50 excess
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 07:10 PM

We insure our two with Tesco, but as they get older and the insurance gets much more expensive we'll probably just put the premiums in the bank and use the savings if they take ill, like we did with our old black lab.

It always comes down to luck of course whether you will need the insurance or not, but we found the premiums disproportionately expensive as he aged, and when he died even after all his treatment we still had £100 in his account, so it didn't work out too badly on that occasion.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Hi Sue,
I have 3 cats but only can afford to insure big Tiger. Mine has gone up in October as he is nearly 11. I have only insured him for two years now.
My cats tend not to be sick until they are older.
Mine is now £159. Its with Tesco. £50 excess
That seems a lot of money Sandra. I don't know what to do, whether to keep her Insured or just keep the money aside.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2012, 08:03 PM

We've had two cats and neither of them were insured. When we had Sam, we started to save so much a week for any sudden vet bills and he went through his 13 years with just boosters and wormers from the vet. What was in his 'kitty' was carried forward to our present cat, Cassie, who is now almost 16. We have saved the same way for her..... again she has regular boosters and flea/wormer treatment. We've had two largish vet bills with her, one when she was hospitalised with tri-pancreatitis in 2004 (just under £500) and the second time was in 2009 when she needed her teeth scaling (just over £200).

We always thought Insurance to be expensive although often necessary for some.... but in our case we used to save what we would have had to pay in premiums and we have been fortunate that it has always covered what treatment our pets have needed.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I don't buy insurance for my two dogs as I would rather take my chance. In the 4 years I have had them one has had some treatment and the other has been fine. I still think I am in moneywise and its better to put money aside than to line the insurers pockets. It would cost about £60 a month to insure them both which I think is a lot so I will take my chances.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

15-11-2012, 07:19 PM

I have decided to have the Insurance just one more year then I am just going to save the money in a box for her. Thank you all for your opinions.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2012, 08:29 PM

I use More Than for Tobi ( my boarder collie) I found them the best maybe not the cheapest .Its about £15 per month..£50 excess...my last company put their premium up by £5 a month to £24 ....then said as he was a older dog said they would only pay 60% of any vet bill....the thing is in 9 years we have never made a claim and apart from his annual boosters , worming etc and health checks he has never been ill to the vet except when he ripped his dew claw out ....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2012, 10:55 AM

I have never had pet insurance in the past, and didn't plan to take it for Bennie. Then he had what I thought might have been a fit and I was talking to friends who had diabetic dogs and were spending a fortune on needles and meds. So I did get him insured this year. Not sure that I will continue the policy, though, as he's a mutt who probably will be a sturdy little man.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top