Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 10:49 AM

Saying Enough is Enough

I'm just curious why people in the UK don't attempt to do something en masse against governments over the last 20 years bringing the country to its present state? Why are there no mass protests? Why aren't people demonstrating that things simply aren't good enough? Why can the French, Italians, Greeks, etc., do it but not those in the UK?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Re: Saying Enough is Enough

Thought the same - have to say the French are very good at making their voices heard and usually get results !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:09 AM

All to do with the British psyche - we're taught that protest and riots aren't the 'British' way - I wish it were, we could then get rid of the monarchy and have a truly democratic society with an elected President - ME!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:14 AM

What about the London riots of a couple of years ago ?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:31 AM

I was saying the same thing to my son today Karen, people seem to have lost their backbone, fear of losing their jobs if seen on C.C.T.V. out protesting, fear of being arrested and taken to court, lots of reasons, never again will we see the brave protesters of the 60's, 70's, and 80's who just wouldn't take everything lying down, then 'you know who' broke the unions with American help, a fatal blow to the ordinary folk. I remember my late Father saying to me, and I'm not on about this subject again but it's relevant to what I'm saying "Jimmy if they can get away with stopping the working man having a smoke with his pint they can get away with anything" God rest his soul he was right. It's far too late now, they can do what they wish with us and are doing it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Remember Peterloo?

The Establishment will do whatever is needed to restore order including slaughtering the proletariat.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 11:52 AM

When I was younger I was always it seems protesting about something, learned long ago no one listens and causing problems for people getting to work etc just alienates any good will people may have had for the cause.

Now we have so many rules and laws against anyone protesting it's difficult to do anyway, and we also have a vicious element who hi jack any demonstration making it easier to just sit back and moan on the internet about it all !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Who knows Julie, maybe the internet could become the new fight back tool of the masses, time will tell, there's and old saying, "God provides to make the lesser equal"
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 12:19 PM

To protest, folks need a viable alternative to what they are protesting about. Imo
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
What about the London riots of a couple of years ago ?
Not quite what I was thinking Alan

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top