Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Re: Anyone Heard Of FODMAP eating plan for IBS

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Well mags, I'll tell my friends and colleagues who suffer IBS, that
I can see by your smiley that you are not convinced Alice but if you lived with someone who suffered IBS, you would know what is best and what to avoid in their diet
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Alice, I would say common sense would/should make you not want to pick at foods that you knew not to be good for you .... doing otherwise is lack of willpower.

I think that if you are struggling with constant debilitating symptoms it's not a problem, your enjoyment of eating is so limited anyway that not having something is relatively easy.
It's also much easier now that there are so many alternatives compared to just 5 or 6 years ago.
Wheat free bread is so much more palatable now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think that if you are struggling with constant debilitating symptoms it's not a problem, your enjoyment of eating is so limited anyway that not having something is relatively easy.
It's also much easier now that there are so many alternatives compared to just 5 or 6 years ago.
Wheat free bread is so much more palatable now.
Yes that's very true, Anita
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:33 PM

A lot of people are getting misdiagnosed with IBS when in fact their symptoms may be down to a parasite, such as Blastocystis (a protozoan) - and specifically subtype 2 (though it may be 3). The funny thing is, subtype 1 may offer a protective benefit (as people with it rarely have IBS).

Don't think the stool check your GP does is conclusive either - many protozoans degrade quickly outside of the body, so they almost never show up in a standard stool test. PCR from extracted DNA is more accurate, and you can get these tests privately. Alternatively... buy your own microscope and a gram stain kit

Don't get me started on gastroenterologists - all of the ones I have seen haven't got a clue because they do not keep up with the latest research. (Out of all the consultants I have met, they have to be the dumbest )
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Alice, I would say common sense would/should make you not want to pick at foods that you knew not to be good for you .... doing otherwise is lack of willpower.
Well to be honest if it wasn't I risk death if I eat some foods I would find it really hard to give them up completely, I don't think my will power is at fault I managed to diet down 5 1/2 stones so far so I think I proved I have that. But the idea of a piece of fruit just makes me salivate but knowing it could kill me I resist. So I know how hard it is not to pick at foods you know aren't good for you.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well to be honest if it wasn't I risk death if I eat some foods I would find it really hard to give them up completely, I don't think my will power is at fault I managed to diet down 5 1/2 stones so far so I think I proved I have that. But the idea of a piece of fruit just makes me salivate but knowing it could kill me I resist. So I know how hard it is not to pick at foods you know aren't good for you.
Julie, it's human nature to even pick at food you know isn't good for you. If we all had willpower we'd be Saints
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:46 PM

Azz I don't know that I would actually buy the kit needed, my DIL would think i'd gone mad, she's a microbiologist.

I'm pretty sure that's not what my problem is though it may well be for some people and is probably under diagnosed.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

24-02-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Julie my post was in reply to Alice's post about sufferers of IBS and the intense pain that the condition can cause if you eat the wrong food ... not weight loss dieting.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I didn't say you did'..............
Who mentioned me?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Azz I don't know that I would actually buy the kit needed, my DIL would think i'd gone mad, she's a microbiologist.

I'm pretty sure that's not what my problem is though it may well be for some people and is probably under diagnosed.
Are you close?

Why not ask her to er, have a look at a sample under a scope for you. Now here's the gross bit, it has to be a 'fresh' sample - yep that means still warm

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top