Join for free
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 02:56 PM

WW1 and the Spanish ' flu.

It was Spanish flu that resulted in the Armistice that ended the fighting which then led to the shameful Treaty of Versailles. That and war weariness.

I wonder if the horrendous impact of the Kung Flu on top of the growing instability now becoming evident within the EU will be the what will cause the EU to collapse especially in view of the huge influx of immigrants, especially into Greece from Turkey that is reneging on its promises and into Italy.

At the VERY least the ECB is very close to collapse, if it were a "normal" bank it would have gone to the wall a couple of years ago and is certainly not operating in any close to normal way.

That too my mind is the iceberg that could well sink the EU. If so then at least one good thing will have resulted from this plague albeit at an awful cost.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Re: WW1 and the Spanish ' flu.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It was Spanish flu that resulted in the Armistice that ended the fighting which then led to the shameful Treaty of Versailles. That and war weariness.

I wonder if the horrendous impact of the Kung Flu on top of the growing instability now becoming evident within the EU will be the what will cause the EU to collapse especially in view of the huge influx of immigrants, especially into Greece from Turkey that is reneging on its promises and into Italy.

At the VERY least the ECB is very close to collapse, if it were a "normal" bank it would have gone to the wall a couple of years ago and is certainly not operating in any close to normal way.

That too my mind is the iceberg that could well sink the EU. If so then at least one good thing will have resulted from this plague albeit at an awful cost.

Looks to me like Germany is the lender of last resort to the ECB rather than the other way around, but there again, the Euro is really the Deutsch Mark just in a different name.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 07:27 PM

Re: WW1 and the Spanish ' flu.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

You make a very good point.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top