Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 01:30 AM

TV licencing scam

The scammers are at it again.

On top of everything else we've got to worry about at the mo, I had a bugger trying to get into my bank account today.

Pretending to be from TV Licencing, I was told my last direct debit for my TV licence had been declined by my bank and that I needed to open a new direct debit payment.

I guessed it was a scam, but it did make me wonder a little, as I have only just had a letter from the licencing people showing this years payment amounts.

I phoned the licencing people to double check there wasn't a problem with my payments, and they assured me everything was fine.

He also said they were aware there are no end of this particular fake email going round at the moment, so be careful folks.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2020, 01:55 AM

Re: TV licencing scam

This has been going on for a couple of years now Mups. They have messages on the TV licensing site warning people. Anyone who gets this email should just go to the real licensing site and check their licence status. You enter your details there and find out right away.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This has been going on for a couple of years now Mups. They have messages on the TV licensing site warning people. Anyone who gets this email should just go to the real licensing site and check their licence status. You enter your details there and find out right away.

Thanks Annie. I didn't know that.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:11 PM

I received one the other day too Mups. I guessed it was a scam because my husband is over 75 and we get the free TV licence until August - but it did make me think, for a fleeting moment, because I wondered whether they were wanting me to set up a dd in readiness for August. Then I remembered that the licence is in my husband's name anyway so why would they contact me!

It really gets on my nerves the cheek of these scammers, we certainly have to keep our wits about us don't we?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:12 PM

finding out things on the internet is frightening, so much information is gathered about you from different sources you could ,I guess, find out the last time you farted
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-03-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I received one the other day too Mups. I guessed it was a scam because my husband is over 75 and we get the free TV licence until August - but it did make me think, for a fleeting moment, because I wondered whether they were wanting me to set up a dd in readiness for August. Then I remembered that the licence is in my husband's name anyway so why would they contact me!

It really gets on my nerves the cheek of these scammers, we certainly have to keep our wits about us don't we
?

That's just how I feel too, Margaret.
What right do these people think they have to come into our lives like that!
Why should we have to be so vigilant in our own homes!

If they are not emailing they are on the phone or at the front door.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 03:48 PM

There's another doing the rounds pretending to be from BT, I got onto it when they rang me, I'm on virgin. lol
If you ever do get anyone ringing and saying they are from your bank, you can ask several questions to verify this.
1, what is my current balance on the account.
2, State the last 3 times I used my card, including the amount spent
3 when was the last debit into the account, and what was the amount.
If they are indeed from your bank they will not only be able to answer these questions, but will have no problem doing so. Remember a bank will never ask for the pin code to your card, or the 3 digit security code off the back. Finally if you're in any doubt about the call and they ask you to ring them for proof, if they've rang you on a landline, ring back on a different phone, otherwise you could be fooled into thinking you're speaking to the bank when you're actually still speaking to the scammers.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top