Join for free
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 12:49 PM

A couple of old pics of hairy-planes.

The Brabazon at Filton, taken by my Dad. He did his own developing and printing but most unlike him, he didn't take care when he printed this one because you can clearly see his finger or thumbprint just under the nose of the aircraft.
I don't have the negative but even if I did, I wouldn't want to clean off a part of his memory.

'Ere, wot you lookin' at?

I used to live on Filton Airfield in the former RAF Ossifers' Mess that had been converted to an apprentices hostel, and managed to illicitly take this piccy whilst walking across the 'drome.

Super Guppy used for transporting Concorde wing and fuselage sections between Filton and Toulouse parked next to (allegedly) the Sultan of Oman's private executive VC10 that was in for a new paint job.

Somewhere I have a piccy of a five engined Vulcan Bomber that was used as a flying testbed for the Tornado aircraft engine, but I'm blowed if I can find it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 02:04 PM

Re: A couple of old pics of hairy-planes.

My childhood days were spent living in Filton and we regularly visited Filton Aerodrome which was quite close to us. I remember all the children and some adults used to run outside to see the huge Brabazon when it regularly flew over our rooftops .... such a big aircraft. Sadly, I think it only lasted about 4 or 5 years.

You never know, I may even be in your Dad’s photo on a visit there!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top